1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 15, 2016.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Leroy Kelly lowered that bar way further and looooooong before Terrell Davis supposedly did.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If you are a skill player maybe rings mean more. Jacoby has three rings and played in another Super Bowl but the feeling is Boselli has now jumped him? If rings were that big a factor he would have gone in around 2000.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Terrell Davis's injury may have had more impact on the modern NFL than that any other injury. After he got hurt Olandis Gary. Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Rueben Droughans and Tatum Bell all rushed for more than 1,000 yards in Mike Shanahan's offense. Salaries plunged as teams reached the belief that running backs were a commodity that could be easily replaced. If Davis stays healthy does that happen?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I know this was not your point, but one of these things is not like the others. Clinton Portis wasn't just another guy.

5. Which was also a knock against Davis... Shanahan could plug any RB into that scheme and get almost a 100 yards a game.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Portis is a case study of why running backs are a commodity. When Portis was in Washington he rushed for 6,874 yards and averaged 4.1 yards a carry. The average running play in the NFL averages four yards a carry. So Portis was barely above the league average, albeit durable. I think the Redskins would have been better off rotating in journeyman running running backs and and using the money they saved to bring in some other, better players.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Or not trading away Champ Bailey for him?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Bailey trade was a boondoggle for the Broncos.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see your point with Swann, who was overrated and may have gotten in on the strength of one Super Bowl performance, but Bettis belongs. I certainly don't think his case was so weak that he lowers the bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted