1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 15, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Let's look at Boston,

The Red Sox have won three World Series this century and the Patriots five. During this period the Red Sox have been able to get really good players such as Pedro Martinez and David Ortiz. I believe that the fact the Red Sox have had the money to sign away star players from smaller market teams has been a contributing factor to their success.

I do not believe the success of the Patriots has had very much to do with them playing in a large market. They have not as many superstars, in part because of the cap (the other reason is television revenue sharing). Randy Moss was not performing at a superstar level when Oakland traded him to New England. There did rent was Darnell Reavis but generally they have concentrated on signing developing their own talent.

The original point I was making is that Paul Taglibue negotiated a labor contract in the 90's that included a salary cap and there has not been a strike in football since 87 . In recent years I think baseball has developed more competitive balance because of MLB's luxury tax. I agree with Bud Selig's induction to the Hall of Fame for these accomplishments.

But I think the labor deals Taglibue negotiated ensured relative competitive parity and labor peace. These accomplishments have brought broad benefits to fans of the sport.

Jerry Jones bucked the NFL and implemented better team marketing deals. NFL owners, who were already very successful, made more money, and were more successful. Good for the NFL owners but I don't think these deals changed the product on the field very much.

So I support Taglibue over Jones for the Hall of Fame because his most significant contributions have a broader impact.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Pedro was a trade 20 years ago and Ortiz was picked up after the Twins waived him. Ramirez and Damon were big free agent signings that worked out.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    JC likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Red Sox have also drafted as well as anyone over that time period.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

they had their fair share of FA guys who didnt pan out, too. most notably carl crawford. then they just flipped him and Adrian Gonzalez to the Dodgers to essentially wipe the slate. they know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run

5. LanceyHoward

I was discussing the period since the last baseball strike so these guys are relevant.

I also think that it is better for an organization to be poor and smart than rich and dumb. But being rich and smart is the optimum. The Red Sox had the money to play in the free agent market and it on the whole helped them. They could afford the busts.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. bourq25

bourq25 Member

BOUT TIME...Easley, Kramer have got to get in or my name isn't Bruce.....Kramer is from Sandpoint, Idaho, Sandpoint HS. "Too Many Packers" theory B.S......

Kickers and punters flip the field, hence the name FOOTball.
    You know how many PKs get cut even though they're good PKs? Morten Andersen, Gary Anderson, Sean Landeta....more respect, yo!

7. bourq25

bourq25 Member

I meant PKs/Punters in general....should be an extra draft pick BONUS for PKs/punters who get drafted/UFA and make it to the Pro Bowl, etc. Tons of players and ex-players who were never drafted....Richard Sherman in the 5th, all those Seahawks drafted by some guy named John Schneider, etc.c etc. Chip...on their shoulders......

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Pedro was a trade, but one Montreal wouldn't have had to make if they had a prayer of resigning him (and keeping all the other guys they ultimately lost, like Larry Walker)

9. LanceyHoward

I forgot Pedro was a trade, though as noted it was made for economic reasons. Ortiz was waived after six years with the Twins. He was coming off a year in which the Twins had advanced to the playoffs, He has a really good second half of the season and hit 20 home runs and 272 in 125 games, The Twins waived him because they did not want to go to arbitration. So a small market team walked away from him leaving him available to sign with any team. I thought that made Ortiz a free agent. A big market team signed him. I think this example tends to proves my point.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Overall, I agree with your point, but Ortiz was not the best example. His first deal with the Red Sox was for one year, $1.25 million. They weren't winning a bidding war. There were questions about his ability to play every day and there were concerns that even if he did, it would have to be as a DH.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A guy who gets waived instead of being offered arbitration isn't a highly sought after free agent. His team is announcing it doesn't think the player is worth what he would get in arbitration. The Twins didn't waive Ortiz because they couldn't afford him. The amount of money between his arb award and his replacement would have been minimal.

Also, Ortiz wasn't even signed as a starter. He was in a three man rotation at 1B and DH for a few months.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't like commissioners in halls of fame unless they transformed the sport as Rozelle did, but the NFL hasn't had a work stoppage in 30 years.
    Tagliabue laid down a lot of those bricks and presided over the dawn of free agency.
    I just worry a precedent will be set and in a quarter-century people will be talking about Goodell for Canton.

Draft saved Draft deleted