1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 15, 2016.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I think his kid started playing college football last year. He needs to get drafted, and then George Sr. can make a comeback. They could do a Ken Griffey-type thing for some team.

Batman likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Peter King with more on the T.O. stuff in this week's MMQB:

Terrell Owens didn’t make the Hall of Fame, which you know. You also know that the fault in him not making the Hall this season seems to be that he was often a disruptive teammate. The man who presented T.O.’s case in front of the Hall’s 47 other selectors, Paul Domowitch of the Philadelphia Daily News, was befuddled (as was I) at the overwhelming importance apparently placed on his behavior versus his performance. Owens is second all-time in receiving yardage in NFL history, and third in receiving touchdowns.

I wanted to give the story a few days to die down before talking to the widely respected veteran football writer. This was Domowitch about Owens on Saturday:

“I understand people’s reservations about his disruptive behavior. Totally understand. No one disputes he had his disruptive moments. But being second all-time in receiving yards and third in receiving touchdowns—those are Ruthian numbers. We’re keeping him out of the Hall of Fame because of some disruptive incidents with teammates? Most of the people keeping him out of the Hall didn’t cover him. I did. What he did most often was hardly the work of a person who doesn’t care. I don’t think you play the Super Bowl with a broken bone in your leg, and you catch nine balls for over 100 yards … I mean, that’s not something you do if you don’t care. Now what concerns me is how entrenched some people seem.”

That concerns me too. But the next 49 weeks will have a way of calming some troubled waters. I still don’t think it’ll be enough to get him in next year in a starry class, but I hope I’m wrong.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't worry. I've always said Ward was borderline at best and have no trouble with him being left out, so we're not 100 percent on the same page here.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree with almost everything he wrote and would vote for TO (despite reservations, as I think his behavior did sink some of his teams). Still, this is a poor argument. Who said he didn't care? So what if he did?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

OOP, explain yourself.

6. outofplace

Try asking nicely next time. Would a simple please be so difficult?

As a Steelers fan, I loved watching Ward play, but I thought he was Hall of Very good as a receiver. Maybe the blocking and the Super Bowl MVP put him over the top. I certainly wouldn't be upset to see him get in.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As a Steelers fan, Hines Ward was one of my favorite players. But he was really a glorified possession receiver. He was like an Edelman or Amendola or Welker, except he also blocked like a beast. The Hall wouldn't be worse for having him, but I don't remember him being discussed a future Hall of Famer when he played. He never led the league in any of the big three receiving categories. But hey, he always had a smile on his face for whatever the hell that's worth, and he played for the Steelers and won a Super Bowl MVP. He'll definitely get in.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Quick question(s): Isn't "possession receiver" a vital role on a successful team? Do you think the greatest possession receiver of all time -- whoever you determine that to be -- should be in the Hall of Fame?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought the exact same thing. No one ever said the problem with Owens was he didn't care. The problem was he created warring factions within just about every team he played for, which eventually affected them on the field.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's definitely grown in importance. It's definitely a vital role. Is Ward the greatest possession receiver of all time? Perhaps. Is he better than Welker or Edelman? Are they Canton bound?

Possession receivers, closers, kickers, punters, designated hitters. The best should definitely be in the Hall. Hell, I think Steve Tasker and Devin Hester are Hall of Famers. Compared with their contemporaries, they were vastly superior.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Why should I be nice to a man who has insulted my wife in private messages?

C minus. Do better next time you are called upon.

cisforkoke and JC like this.
  12. outofplace

I would remind you that posting content from private messages on open threads is a violation of board policy, but technically you didn't violate that rule because I did no such thing.

Other members of this board have posted far worse things to me in private messages than anything you and I have directed at one another, yet I have not resorted to what you tried to pull here.

I didn't ask you to be nice. I asked you to be polite.

I'm really not interested in going into a deeper explanation, mostly because I have addressed the issue before. You simply assumed I would argue for Ward as a Hall of Famer because I am a Steelers fan, but that isn't true.

Draft saved Draft deleted