1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 15, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fun facts in regards to the Owens-Moss debate:

-- Owens was 32 when he got booted out of Philly. That season, he played in seven games and had 47 catches and 6 TDs, averaging 109 YPG. He played five more years, including two of the best seasons of his career in Dallas.
    -- Moss was 33 when he got booted out of New England. That season, he played in 16 games for three different teams and had 28 catches and 5 TDs, averaging 24.6 YPG. He made only two more starts in his career.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The idiocy of the argument is that Moon has a career losing "record", while Carson Palmer has a superior one in roughly the same amount of starts.
    Is anyone sane going to argue that Palmer did more to help his teams win than Warren Moon?
    I'm picking a middle-of-the-road guy here in Palmer just to show how misleading it is.
    You can intersperse Jay Schroeder and Bobby Hebert, for that matter, as well.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything that those 3 QBs have in common.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Love the inclusion of Mohamed Sanu.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Another voter, Rick Gosselin, said today on the radio that the talk on Owens in the room is always going to focus on the fact that every team he was on wanted to get rid of him, regardless of the production.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So THAT'S why Jeff George hasn't gotten the call to Canton...

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Not according to the guys who covered him in Buffalo. (Which does not include their current voter, who was working in Cleveland then.) Bills fired the OC 10 days before the season started, then ran off Dick Jauron and benched Trent Edwards for Ryan Fitzpatrick that November. All of that contributed to Owens' numbers being down, but he kept his mouth shut. They just weren't going to pay another big-money free-agent deal to re-sign him at 36, not with Lee Evans already locked in as one of the highest-paid WRs in the league. Said GM Buddy Nix: "We want to go young."

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I figured it was because no one thinks he's actually retired.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

At the great risk of agreeing with OOP, I want to say I have come around on Hines Ward's candidacy.
    I think Ward's blocking has gotten a lot of legs from iso camera angles and analysts, but I don't recall Ward's peers delivering blocks that staggered HoF players like Ed Reed and Rod Woodson.
    The overall qualifications are there. Signature moments, changed the league with his blocking prowess, key player on a winning organization, stellar postseason play. Certainly more admirable traits than Tim Brown.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ward was always going to have a good shot to get in -- played with one team, which is a signature franchise, the numbers are borderline and he won two rings, one coming with him as the Super Bowl MVP.

If he didn't have the postseason stuff to fall back on, he'd have been in Andre Reed territory for a wait but he made the top 25 on his first try. He's going to have something of a wait because of the stacked classes coming, but it won't be as long as some think, if they thought he had a chance at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted