1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 NFL Preseason Thread: Ki-Jana Carter edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Roethlisberger was suspended six games after his second, well documented, forcible rape of a woman for which he was able to evade all legal consequences because of his celebrity, and yes his "privilege". A black quarterback would have been blackballed out of the league at the first accusation, even in 2008.

Brady was suspended because Roger Goodell is exceptionally poor manager and does things based on appearance, he needed to appear to be tough on a white guy.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Watched about 20 minutes of the Giants/Steelers clash. Geno Smith threw his customary INT.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. It's in the contract.

2. This is what universities do in Title IX cases.

4. Just the facts ma am

Correct, I do not want the NFL to do anything to curtail domestic violence. It is not their job, they are not qualified and they are making the problem worse by taking money away from women who report it. If I thought it was the NFL's job a better approach would be to fine the player and give the fine directly to the victim rather than take away millions from the couple.

5. Just the facts ma am

I agree completely. It is also wrong but hey, this is politics, I'm out

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The NFL should not suspend a man for beating a woman because that woman would be deprived of the money from the man. I don't even know where to begin.

Putting aside the idea the NFL should fine the guy and give it to the victim because that isn't a bad idea the rest of your argument is sexist and just plain shit.

A suspension punishes the woman because she must rely on the guy for money. Nevermind lawsuits that can clean the guy out. Nevermind divorce which awards half of the marital assets plus alimony. Nevermind most aren't married and leaving the guy leaves her with nothing anyway but you know some will give up millions to not have the shit beaten out of them.

And forget the NFL, if the guy is convicted and sent to jail, pretty sure they're out millions as it is.

Here's what suspensions does: It puts a punishment in place that is independent of a woman suddenly getting hazy about the beating as she drives away in her brand new car or pulls into her brand new house or goes out wearing rocks the size of Texas.

This is about consequences for abusers not some gravy train for women who should just shut up and take a beating or two because her husband/boyfriend just signed a 5 year $20 million contract.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the NFL wouldn't otherwise be punishing players accused or found guilty of domestic violence, but who do you think determines whether their sons play football or not? If the NFL is seen as anti-women, and moms don't let their kids play, where will the next generation of players come from?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, Schefter plays the role of league mouthpiece extremely well.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There are no easy answers to this, but the loss of income angle has been brought up before, and not just by mouth-breathing neckbeard types who don't want their football interrupted. I remember reading this last year and feeling much more conflicted than I was entering the piece.

http://deadspin.com/zero-tolerance-for-domestic-violence-will-only-make-it-1787428167

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Ray Lewis.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Goodell is just a plain shitty commissioner. Quit looking for race at every single angle.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Remember when Goodell was not going to survive Deflategate?

Draft saved Draft deleted