1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 NFL Preseason Thread: Ki-Jana Carter edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 3, 2017.

1. I know we have an off-season thread, but it's not the offseason anymore.
    Camps opened, players have reported and preseason games are only weeks away. None too soon!

What better way to open to thread than with Tom Brady's 40th birthday. Only, what, 5-10 more years until he retires?
    Off-the-field Brady : Tom Brady at 40: Stories you've never heard

Is this the year, his skills diminish? Or he gets hurt? Maybe. But probably not enough to let the Steelers, or anyone else in the AFC beat them in the championship game.

In Bengals news: Vontaze Burifict will cheap shot his own teammates.
    Low hit by Vontaze Burfict leads to heated fight at Bengals training camp

Falcons and Patriots good bets to return to the Super Bowl?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Patriots have to be a heavy favorite. They improved over the offseason. I don't know that any of the other AFC contenders improved as much.

I'm not as sure about the Falcons, though they could get there again.

Two other contenders are waiting for the NFL to stop dragging its collective heels on disciplinary matters. The league still hasn't ruled on Ezekiel Elliott and Martavis Bryant is still waiting on full reinstatement.

3. Pats' schedule opens with KC... They host Atlanta, play Oakland in Mexico City and have games in Denver and Pittsburgh.

Brady stays healthy, what the odds they go unbeaten? Worst case scenario: 14-2? No. 1 seed.

I think KC will regress, same with Denver. The Steelers, can't - can NOT - beat New England.
    I'm torn on Oakland, I could see them going backwards this season, but I also think they win their division.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You misspelled "hours" ...

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Steelers could win the regular season meeting with the Patriots in Pittsburgh, but I don't see them pulling it off in the playoffs. The secondary simply isn't good enough to even slow New England down and they didn't do enough to improve it yet again.

The defense should be better if they can stay healthy. Heyward's return should give them the best defensive line they've had in a long time with continued growth from Tuitt and Javon Hargrovve. They also need more consistency from Dupree and some contribution from Watt so they can finally phase out Harrison. The optimist in me wants to believe they could win with the strategy of beating up Brady, but it's tough to expect that given the way he has torn them apart.

Bryant's situation is also huge. Yes, they have other options at receiver, but none of them can make big plays and draw attention away from Brown the way Bryant has showed he can when he manages to stop doing stupid shit long enough to play.

I'm going to be interested to find out what they have in Connor. The last two seasons have proven they need a quality option behind Bell at running back. The latter just can't seem to stay healthy through a full season.

On a related note, can everybody who claims the AFC Championship Game would have turned out differently if Bell had been healthy please shut up. The Steelers couldn't get a stop. They weren't winning that game, not even with Bell at his best.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Signing Kaepernick to be a back-up who doesn't play is "unpatriotic." Signing him because your starter went down and he's your best option to win will be viewed as being competitive. Morality and ethics have always been for those people who could afford to have them. How much has journalism, college athletics and even states seeking additional revenue, eased long-held stances just to keep up with the Joneses or pay the bills? Ads on 1A, advertorials, beer commercials, longer seasons, freshman eligibility, lotteries, legalizing weed, etc.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Tannehill hurt. Come on down, Jay Cutler!

8. Tom Brady is 40. And plans to play at least another 5-6 years. Son of a BITCH!
    He joins a short, but solid list of QBs who started at least one NFL game past the age of 40.
    George Blanda (41)
    Warren Moon (44)
    Steve DeBerg (44)
    Vinny Testaverde (44)
    Brett Favre
    Wade Wilson
    Len Dawson
    Charlie Connerly
    Doug Flutie
    Earl Morrall
    Mark Brunnell
    Vince Evans
    Joe Ferguson
    Jim Hart
    Matt Hasselback
    Doug Johnson
    Sonny Jurgensen
    Dave Krieg
    Johnny Unitas
    At lot of those guys were good-to-great beyond 40. As long Brady remains upright and gets rid of the ball quickly, is there any reason to think he can't go another 4/5 years as the best QB in the NFL?

FYI: Vinateri is the oldest player in the league. He turns 45 at the end of December. After Brady, the other oldest non-kicker/punter in the league is James Harrison.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last time the Patriots opened against Kansas City, this happened. Just sayin'.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jer-uh must have been going to Mark Davis' barber:

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Almost seems like three different people. I wonder which one they'll use for the bust. "New Jerry" hasn't won squat.

Draft saved Draft deleted