1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 NBA playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yes I should have said Celtics not Cavs. I also should have listened to my gut and either not said anything or and posted along the lines of good half for Celtics but no way LeBron let's them hang around for two games in a row. The fourth foul I think made me go with what I did.

3. Spartan Squad

I say the second half will dictate how things go in the future. Cavs won, got momentum back and stomped on Celtics in Game 5. I've acknowledged how I should have tempered my statement, but it wasn't wrong now nor at the time. Will you acknowledge you're a twit so we can be done with this?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Except not. I like how you keep trying to revise this.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as momentum from game to game. Cleveland won because they are far superior. They would have won even if they didn't have the "momentum".

7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Sanity pills on your plate today? You're making sense.

8. Spartan Squad

I think if Boston had won Game 4, Game 5 wouldn't have been a forgone conclusion. Maybe momentum is the wrong term, perhaps confidence would be better? I don't believe any team goes into a game thinking it will lose (unless you're James Harden in an elimination game, and I'm half kidding) but I think knowing you can beat a team because you've just knocked the aura of inevitability off of it can be a big motivator. Would it have changed the outcome? Probably not. But it would have started the "is Cleveland going to choke" talk which would have put pressure on them and loosened Boston which would have made a better game.

Obviously there's no way to know so all of that is just one big Hot Take. I will go out on this limb: This Finals had better live up to the hype.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

While waiting for my takeout lunch order at a local sub-pizza shop, the TV had ESPN on. In the time it took them to make two eggplant parm subs, I saw enough hype and ads to realize I'm already sick of this Final and it doesn't start for five more days.

10. Songbird

C'mon. First time teams have faced off in the Finals 3 straight years. It's a big deal. Rubber match. It's good for the game.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Has it ever happened in the NFL or MLB? Maybe the first for any of our major sports leagues

Although instead of taking that as a "big deal", I think some are weary of seeing the same characters in the Finals year after year. Like I've seen this show so many times before, man. It's getting hard to remember what it was like to have a Finals without Lebron James as the central figure.

12. Songbird

In many ways it is the same cast, but now we have Durant in the mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted