1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 College Football Stories Thread (not the weekly degenerate thread)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 4, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because ...

A) Colleges and universities are very dependent on federal dollars (whether through funding for research, etc., or indirectly via federal student loans);
    B) SJW ideologues in the DofEd don't much give a shit about anything other their obsession(s) du jour; and
    C) in a "Shit for Brains" version of March Madness, said ideologues and college/university administrators would be odds-on favorites to meet up in the finals.

Title IX shouldn't be implicated in these things, but because it seemed a convenient way of achieving that which couldn't be achieved in other ways, the ideologues seized on it.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Because sexual harassment and sexual assualt deny students equal opportunities in education. The original Title IX had nothing to do with sports. A school can be sanctioned for allowing harassment or assault so the school has to have a plan to address it.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you. As I said, somebody in government decided so.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Starting to sound like some episodes of "Law and Order" late in its run: "We can't charge them with anything else ... oh yea, the Patriot Act. They're terrorists!"

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad but true: The upper crust of the Mountain West could compete against most Big 10 West teams. (B1G East? Not so much)

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

USC doesn't have a kicker. That's kind of a big deal in bigtime football.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

College Predictions 101.
    1. Team has a returning QB.
    2. Team is coming off a winning season.
    3. Count the number of returning starters/seniors
    4. Slot accordingly.*

* - Texas and ND bring in a new coach and all the sudden all the cruddy recruiting/player development doesn't matter.

PS - If the rankings were a story, people would be accusing the writers poll of plagiarism with 24 of the 25 coaches teams, and very minimal variation of rankings - the writers top 13 is the coaches top 13, same top 18, same top 23.
    Shoot I get it, of course people took a look at the Coaches poll for some ideas, but I expected it to be quite a bit more random the further you go down.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And many of those same writers will bash the coaches poll when the preseason rankings go sideways a month into the season but you'll hear nary a peep about their almost identical poll doing the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted