1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It couldn't be replicated today. Like Lancey said, they had that scholarship/grey shirt system set up and it freed them up to offer scholarships to any decent kid coming out of Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and the Dakotas. Before the current scholarship limits they'd just get them all to Lincoln and sort them out later.

They were ahead of the game when it came to training table and weight programs (and steroids), so a 215 pound lineman from Red Cloud might come in, spend two or three years putting on weight before there was any expectation of seeing the field.

There was really no pass blocking or complicated schemes in Osborne's system. All they had to do was get big and strong, by any means necessary. Meanwhile, he'd recruit nationally for skill players and take guys with enough issues they were willing to leave LA or wherever to go to Nebraska.

So he wound up with the likes of Lawrence Phillips running behind a bunch of roided up farm boys and simply pushing over matched Big 8 teams around all the way to the Orange Bowl.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Schiano will spend 2018 with Urban and will have his pick of whatever comes open after next season (Michigan perhaps? That’ll set the twittersphere ablaze). He’ll be OK.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't think Fulmer considered Leach for a second. He said from jump street that he wanted a defensive minded coach. I couldn't imagine him trying to reign him in on anything. Too much of a struggle, too much of a hassle.
    This is a very safe hire.
    UT probably thinks they stole one.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

But but but.........The Khaki Messiah has a lifetime contract!.......He won't leave us!

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

By far the single most negative quality about Pruitt in the eyes of UT fans is NOT his "lack of experience". It's that he is a full-blooded Bammer. One who will wear orange to the news conference to announce his hiring, then go back to wearing the crimson colors with the Atlanta Braves lookalike "A" on it for the next couple of weeks to help the Tide prepare for Clemson.

Very few fans are "happy" about the hire. "At peace with it" sums up the typical positive fan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I hope the Tennessee presser doesn't open with an admin stating that Pruitt "was our first choice all along."

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well that's a nice way to spin it, and I'm sure there's a good deal of underlying truth to it. But I doubt that's what most of the active participants in that fan insurrection against Schiano were thinking.

I read that Clay Travis "call to arms" article that seemed to provoke the thing. Not a single word there about Jimmy Haslam, instead it was all about Schiano not being good enough and UT deserving a bigger fancier name. I saw the libelous nonsense painted on the rock, and the smears spewed by the protesting bunch--they weren't saying anything about Haslam, it was all about Schiano.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's cut through the crap, shall we?
    Schiano wasn't dropped by the Vols because of any nebulous Penn State connections.
    He wasn't dropped because he's not a good coach. I think that's up for debate.
    He was dropped because he's a raging asshole and always has been and the shit came back to haunt him. If you're going to be a raging asshole, you'd better be Nick Saban or Jimbo Fisher and actually win a few titles, rather than just take a mediocre program and have a couple of good seasons, a la Rutgers.

Big Circus and Chef2 like this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So why was the raging asshole offed the job to begin with?

Fans don't give a shit if a coach is a raging asshole.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fordham's open. HC Andrew Breiner to Mississippi State as an assistant. Talk about culture shock.

Good steppingstone job. Previous Fordham head coaches in this century include current FBS head coaches Dave Clawson and Joe Moorhead.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Seriously. There isn't a CFB fan that gives a fuck if their coach is the shittiest human being on earth as long as he can win 10+ games. Baylor was more than happy to use the school as a safe space for rapists as long as there was a Cotton Bowl appearance at the end of that rainbow.

And Schiano took a dog shit program that had won like 10 of their previous 50 or so games and made them respectable.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If Pruitt is smart he'll listen and then make his own decisions right from the start. Fulmer is going to want to meddle, and if you don't keep a lid on that from the jump he'll do what Barry Alvarez has at Wisconsin. Nothing wrong with utilizing Fulmer's experience and contacts, and doing so will help a bit, but if Pruitt does not want to be Fulmer's puppet he needs to play it smart.

I don't think that the fan reaction to Schiano had much to do about Penn St, that was an excuse, but if all the resulting turmoil meant that they scraped Haslam loose it was nearly worth the PR disaster the search created.

Draft saved Draft deleted