1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From what I have heard Chip Kelly is still very close to his high school friends and is very private, which is probably why he went back to NH.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, but covering NHIAA soccer championships at Stellos is kind of cool.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I assume Kelly lives in the Durham area near UNH, which is a pretty place.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Unlike college, EVERYBODY in the NFL has a billionaire owner. Kind of levels out the playing field.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dan Guerrero is being allowed to hire his fourth head football coach - madness. The sadder stat is that none of his hires have achieved the lofty success of Bob Toledo (49-32), who he inherited and fired.

7. tapintoamerica

How many ADs have whacked three of their own hires in either football or basketball? Can't be terribly many.

8. DanOregon

Not saying Guerrero doesn't run a strong athletic department when you look at the broader successes, (non-revenue sports), I think at least one NCAA title every year - a total of 21 during his tenure - but I love his wikipedia entry
    "On April 25, 2002, Guerrero was named UCLA's Director of Athletics, effectively placing UCLA on double, secret, self-imposed probation which vastly limited its success on and off the field of competition. Many USC alumni and fans hold Guerrero in high regard for his ability to suppress the success of UCLA Athletics."

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm told that Dorrell was hired by the chancellor and Guerrero had little to no say in that decision. So that one's not on him, but Neuheisel and Mora are on him.
    Toledo lost the team in the debacle involving Miami and the hurricane postponement. There was racial tension. The offense was snipping at the defense. Toledo didn't know how to deal with it. He also couldn't recruit.

10. DanOregon

I wasn't defending Toledo (though he was the last HC to take the team to a Rose Bowl - and he won it)- it doesn't seem to matter who gets hired at UCLA, they have enough success to think they could mean business, then they fall back.
    I kind of think Kelly fits the profile as well. He will make a splash. (maybe they beat Oklahoma on the road next year) then lose a game against an Arizona school or Utah and a top Northern division school and boom - they're playing in late December in Texas or the Bay Area.

11. tapintoamerica

Can you elaborate on the Miami hurricane postponement debacle? I am unfamiliar but curious.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jeremy Foley had to fire Zook and Muschamp and would have had to fire McElwain if he had lasted one more year. Foley sure lived off that Meyer hire for a long time. Whiffed on the other three.

Draft saved Draft deleted