1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty safe bet.

I always wish they would disclose the total number of votes rather than say, all the rest were under five. I'd love to know how many votes McGwire and Steinbrenner got, to say nothing of the others on the ballot. Part of almost feels like if people knew they were voting for Selig and Scherholtz, then that's enough for the class and they don't pick anyone else.

I don't know how you can holdover those eight names in two years if all but Piniella got even close to half. I have no idea which executive jumps on for Schuerholtz and I assume Jim Leyland would get a shot. The question is going to be which ballot Jack Morris goes on -- were they saving him for the Modern Baseball era instead of this one?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Susan Slusser tweeted there's no point in not voting for suspected/confirmed steroid users if the enablers are in. Completely agree.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was about to post that. And, yeah, she's right.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bang on.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Would be interested to know how many ballots got returned before today's announcement and how many of those voters would have changed their minds. As of Sunday there are 19 known ballots.

16 of them have Pudge
    15 of them have Bonds and Clemens, 2 voters added them for the first time
    9 of them have Manny, which is kinda surprising
    4 of them have Sosa

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This could shake things up:

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also, posted this on the Hot Stove thread, but figure it's better off here:

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How could you vote for Bonds and Clemens, but not Manny or Sosa? They are all slam-dunk Hall of Famers, if you take PEDs out of the conversation, so what is the distinguishing factor here?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's simple logic and justice. And yet, many won't. They'll feel even more self-righteous about it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't think Sosa belongs on the same level as Bonds, Clemens and Manny. But yeah, if we're gonna let the PED users in, he definitely belongs, though with the 10-person limit on the ballot, I'd be hard-pressed to include him this year.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, he's not on their level. But he's a Hall of Famer. That's my point. I guess the 10-person limit may come into play, if the voters are ranking candidates. But are there eight candidates better than Manny and Sosa (other that Clemens and Bonds)? It just seems weird to me to punish guys for PEDs, but if they were really good at using PEDs, then they get a pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted