1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 3, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Vlad certainly wasn't as patient as Bagwell, but holy crap could he hit the ball. He struck out a lot less than Bagwell and walked a lot less, probably because he's the only player I've ever seen who could swing at a bounced pitch expecting to hit it. I mean, he literally hit pitches that had bounced and still batted .318 for his career. It's really quite staggering.

I'd most definitely rather have Vlad in my lineup than Bagwell, but the statistical difference is so much closer than I thought it was.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vlad is the guy I wish I had seen so much more often.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Guerrero was probably more fun to watch, but Bagwell was the one I'd want in my lineup.

Part of that was things that are tougher to measure in statistics, such as baserunning and defense. Guerrero made a lot of errors for an outfielder and he was a reckless baserunner. I found this article on ESPN.com. It is funny because the writer admits that the statistical analysis is shaky, especially regarding to baserunning, but uses it anyway. I use it with reservations because it does fit what I remember of the player.

Vladimir Guerrero was one of the worst baserunners ever ... or maybe not

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Freddy Sanchez?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Good thing the rules in place now weren't around for the speed freaks of the good ol days when nobody was taking anything. You would have your very, very small HOF that you are looking for.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I always assumed his "big sigh" was a relaxation technique or trigger of some sort rather than any sort of "this job sucks" commentary .

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. Helps to keep from overcompensating.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I did write "like", but he also never showed emotion after a win from what I recall from his time pitching for the Red Sox.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Early tracking (12 ballots):

Bagwell, Raines and Pudge are 12 for 12
    Hoffman and Vlad are 10 for 12
    Bonds, Clemens and Smith are 9 for 12

8 ballots are the full 10, only one is under seven.

10. Della9250

Apparently the Today's Game Committee will be announcing voting tonight: leaks have Selig being elected to Hall of Fame, waiting on word about others.

11. Della9250

Today's Game Committee puts Bud Selig and John Scherholtz in the Hall of Fame.

12. Della9250

12 Votes Needed for Election
    John Schuerholz (16 votes, 100%); Bud Selig (15 votes, 93.8%); Lou Piniella (7 votes, 43.8%); Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Davey Johnson, Mark McGwire and George Steinbrenner each received fewer than five votes.

Draft saved Draft deleted