1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Kevin Owens. Push that guy to the moon.

Batman likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Owens. Lesnar. Ambrose. Neville. Wyatt. Del Rio.

Not to mention Cena, Orton or Rollins.

Hell, I'd rather see Reigns vs. Big E or Kofi. Or Finn Balor. Or Samoa Joe. Or Baron Corbin. Or Apollo Crews.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't entirely disagree with that, but it is funny that Triple H has wrestled 20 times since he went into semi-retirement in 2010, and he's only won eight of those matches. His win over Sting at Wrestlemania snapped an eight-match losing streak.

As an aside, this is kind of a neat site. It has a lot of results for wrestlers from recent years, in a number of promotions: Internet Wrestling Database - WWE, TNA, WCW, ECW, & more results

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Orton and Rollins are both out until after Mania, Owens and Ambrose are locked into what hopefully will be a good feud. Del Rio will probably be in a storyline with Cena again, knocking those two out of the picture.

And apparently they've cooled on Owens, again, because he supposedly put on some weight recently. Or at least that's what several folks were reporting last week.

I would like to see someone like Big E get into the title picture, but I doubt it'll happen.

5. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Agree with Wyatt. It's time for him to take that next step.

But why Neville? I personally just see him being a mid-carder.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is the fault of the E for being stuck in their formula.

If they'd had the same attitude in the late 90s that they had now, we'd be seeing the WCW Network, featuring a WWF retrospective on Wrestlemania 15's main event three-way dance between Chilly McFreeze, Rocky Maivia and Hunter Hearst Helmsley the Connecticut Blue Blood.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That reminds me, since it's Rumble season head on over to the Network and check out the 1997 Royal Rumble. A very, very weird moment in WWE time. Hunter Hearst Helmsley and Rocky Maivia are both in there, along with a few other guys who became legends two or three years later but weren't there yet. It was in San Antonio, so they also brought in a bunch of Mexican guys to spice things up. Mil Mascaras made an appearance and eliminated himself. You also have pre-Titantron production values and no sign of heel authority figures. As one of the last truly "old school" major PPVs pre-Attitude Era it's a really strange vibe.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Watching anything before 1998 has that strange vibe.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree completely with this. The past couple years, they've had blue balls when it comes to finally giving guys the push they need, excluding Rollins and Reigns. Sometimes, you'll get the crowd forcing them to act (Daniel Bryan, CM Punk). But most of the time, they'll just feign a big push, and then act like the guy isn't "grabbing the brass ring" when the crowd fatigues of all the feints. Goes for faces (Ziggler, Cesaro) and heels (Rusev).

10. Baron Scicluna

The WWF stuff from, like, '96 and '97 is really weird, because that was the timeperiod when they were stuck in between wanting to become more edgy because WCW was beating their asses, but they were also still trying to appeal to little kiddies.

Batman likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"Man, it's so great to see the Nick Patrick angle again!" - no wrestling fan ever, re: the main event of Raw.

Blaahhhh. Vince should do some cardio work - The arms look big (but gross and steroid-y) but he was hobbling around the ring like the arthritic grandfather he is. Despite that, he got up quicker from the superman punch than most wrestlers. And why did the third ref make the proper count? It's too bad they fired Brad Maddox, or didn't have Steven Regal or Corporate Kane around, then it would have been easier to sell from a storyline perspective to me. (The former, because of abuse over the years from the McMahons, but maybe he's still an active ref, and the latter, with Triple H, Vince and Stephanie all down, could argue he's the highest ranking official left.)

Besides that, I'm as big a Jericho mark as anyone, but the one portion of the show you don't need to re-debut him in is the segment with New Day. Although, I can't believe I'm saying this, but they need to protect them more on the mic. Sending them out there for five minutes without a plan is starting to have diminishing returns.

Draft saved Draft deleted