1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

This is going to be good, real good.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Took me almost a week to wrap my head around this but here goes....

The first one I remember was when RAW went cold off the air when HBK ate a kick to the back of the head from Owen. Went to Borders Books looking for out of town newspapers to see if he was dead for two days. I think I was 11.

Shoot I thought was worked: Either Regal stiffing Goldberg on Nitro or whatever happened between Russo and Hogan that night.

Still dont know: Probably also Russo Hogan. Or maybe Montreal.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just an OK Raw, again, tonight. More of the same old shit, with Reigns and Owens closing the show -- a match we'll see at the Rumble, again -- with the continuation of Zayn-Strowman and Jericho-Rollins.

Found myself tuning out more and more, which never used to happen. But hey, good news: Goldberg returns next week!

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed. Nothing really to write home about. At some point, they'll probably do a six-man with Reigns, Rollins and Zayn against Jericho, Owens and Strohman.

They're stuck in that holiday lull where there's not much to do until the Rumble hype kicks into high gear.

5. JimmyHoward33

How many times is the US champion gonna beat the Universal champion clean before the stupid red belt loses whatever cache it never had?

Baron Scicluna and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed. And was there any doubt Reigns would retain last night?

A better way to build this up would be to have each of them defend their titles against another contender (not Jericho and Rollins) and have each of them do commentary on the others' matchup (Reigns would suck, of course, and Owens would be his usual awesomeness). At this point, you can't have them face each other for eight straight weeks. It's sucking the life out of the match before it even occurs.

7. KYSportsWriter

But who do you throw into that mix?

Rollins and Jericho are building their feud, the tag team division has taken away two of the biggest and best singles stars in Cesaro and Sheamus, Goldberg and Lesnar are going to be tied together until Mania and Rusev has his .... thing going on with Enzo and Cass.

Also: If they let Reigns be himself, he would not be bad on commentary for a few matches. The guy can talk, but creative has no idea how to get that out of him.

8. JimmyHoward33

Maybe you let the various feuds interact with each other.....if Cass faces KO, Rusev ends up involved......right now everything is way to segemented, way too boxed away from everything else, and way too pigeonholed for way too long. If its 5 more shows of Reigns/Rollins/KO/Jericho before the Rumble, building to the exact same two matches they built to before Roadblock, whats the point of watching? There's no development and as much fun as the list is, it cannot carry 10-12 weeks of television.

Strowman's the only exception right now.

9. KYSportsWriter

And they've done that several times the past few weeks with Jericho-Owens and Rollins-Reigns. It's ridiculous at this point.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

SPOILERS:

Actually glad they got the titles off Orton-Bray-Harper. Those need to be more of a straight team, not an alliance held title.

AA winning them could open up the division a little more. HOPEFULLY, they'll hold onto them until The Revival comes to claim them. (wishful thinking, I know).

11. KYSportsWriter

Otunga and JBL need to go away. I don't care where, just get them off TV as announcers. Otunga is garbage.

12. KYSportsWriter

That main event was pretty bad ass. Styles and Ziggler just helped make Corbin a star.

Draft saved Draft deleted