1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 6, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not to derail the White Oscars talk, but I saw The Revenant over the weekend. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did The Martian or Mad Max, the only other best picture nominations I've seen, but it was probably the better "film" of those three. The way it was shot was absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know if that is what gets Leo his statue, but it should absolutely get Tom Hardy one for best supporting actor. Even though I'm rooting for Sly to get it, Tom Hardy was pretty damn amazing in The Revenant.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agree . I think Alma nailed it on why the Revenant seemed somehow hollow.

I have seen all but Brooklyn now. My rank (minus Brooklyn).

I liked them all. Room was the most emotionally compelling.

Spotlight
    Room
    The Big Short
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Mad Max
    Bridge of Spies
    (Brooklyn)

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Deceitful? I don't know how it's deceitful, nor was it my intention to hurt your feelings. I just found it funny.

Since it bothers you, I will stop. I was just trying to have a little fun.

Some people are so sensitive.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm calling bullshit on this, too. You've been whining for weeks on multiple threads because I dared suggest your opinion of the new Star Wars movie had no weight because you hadn't actually seen it yet. I'm not the one who whined about one comment on at least three separate threads, so please spare me the idea that I'm the one being sensitive.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yep, you got me.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HC likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Michael B. Jordan got screwed, I will agree on this.
    That said, I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that the majority of the 6,000 members of the National Academy are liberal. They're entertainers, writers, etc. The board includes Annette Bening (wife of politically active Democrat Warren Beatty) and Ed Begley Jr. (who is as liberal as they come). The Academy president is an African-American woman. So the problem is not some vague racism engineered by old white men. They're not exactly walking the walk.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Liberals can be racist, too.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It seems like a misplaced argument, though.
    One has to consider the demographic makeup of the country as a whole and of the movie-going audience in particular.

The argument, it seems to me, should be that if there were more movies featuring black actors and actresses, maybe that segment of the audience would increase from the current 12%. If you had more movies featuring black actors and actresses and drawing more black audience members you would likely generate more nominations and awards. I still think this is a reflection of the movie-making process rather than the awards process.

The real interesting demographic is the Hispanic segment, who are now pushing almost 25% of the movie-going audience.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

1) 12.2% of the United States (a/k/a 'Murica) is African-American.

2) There are five leading actor nominees. Simple math would follow that the odds of an African-American actor filling one of those slots is less than 50%.

3) There are five leading actress nominees. Simple math would follow that the odds of an African-American actress filling one of those slots is less than 50%.

4) What was the question again?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted