1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 6, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know. I thought "All is Lost" was pretty damn good.

[​IMG]

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So it's similar to, or likely slightly more diverse than, say, Congress.

The only difference is, one matters and the other doesn't.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Should it be required that nominees reflect the demographic makeup of the country or the audience?
    About 13% of the country or 12% of the audience is African-American - so does that mean that in a category with eight nominations one should automatically be reserved for a given race or ethnicity.

I don't think it's an issue of the composition of the voters as much as the availability of roles or high quality roles in major productions.
    Any disparity is a reflection of the movie-making process more than the voting process.

8. YankeeFan

Can't it be both?

This has been an issue for years.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That Jaoquin Phoenix didn't win for Walk The Line is a travesty

Peter Sellers should have won for Dr Strangelove.

Who is Shaun King? Larry's grandson?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It can be both. I haven't seen 'Concussion,' 'Creed' or 'Beasts of No Nation.' I can't speak to the worthiness of those movies or performances.
    I have seen 'Mo' Better Blues' and 'Malcolm X,' and I didn't think either was an Oscar performance.
    That said, a lot of movies, actors and actresses win that I don't think pass muster.

It can certainly be both factors, but I think it is more of a reflection of the movie making process than the nomination or voting process.
    Of all the movies made in a given year, only a percentage of major studio productions are legit award contenders.
    Of that subset, only a small percentage feature African-American actors and actresses.

However, why is this concern about African-Americans?
    Hispanics represent a larger percentage of the U.S. population (17%) and a much larger percentage of the movie-going audience (25%).

I'm not taking a side, really. Just wondering.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Racism and gender are quick-twitch takes on this. If someone feels someone was slighted in the nominations, then state letter and verse why that particular nomination would have been stronger than those presented. Don't make some blanket statement and let it stand there.

I'll give Shaun King credit for that, at least. (Although he did seem to make a point of hitting every possible example from the calendar year.)

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Was he the QB for Tampa Bay at one point?

Draft saved Draft deleted