1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 6, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would Melissa Silverstein like to tell us who she would leave off the current list and who would replace him or her? Or is she commenting on the lack of roles for minorities and directorial jobs for women? I can't tell.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Station Agent?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sorry, did not realize there was already a 2016 Oscars thread. Feel free to delete the other.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

She's being an attention-whoring troll.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's the performance I thought of. And Will Smith.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see Hollywood's extreme anti-gay agenda is at work again with the shutout of "Carol."

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've liked pretty much everything McCarthy has been involved in from The Wire to Up to The Visitor to Win-Win. About the only thing I've missed was the savaged "Cobbler" starring Sandler.

But yeah, I'd say it's going to be DiCaprio, The Revenant has already cleared $60 mil.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You've seen the new 'Star Wars,' so you're good to go expressing opinions on any and all topics.

Ace likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Other than Diary of a Teenage Girl - which really was one of the year's better movies - I can't think of any, and that movie wouldn't have been nominated. Too small.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was a decent year for movies and the Oscars list is a piss poor representation of it.

Bridge of Spies is, to quote a criticism Mel Gibson gave about one his own movies, as boring as a dog's ass. It's convoluted and picayune. It's well made. That's it.

I haven't seen 45 years but I'd love to know how enough voters regard Charlotte Rampling that much they can ignore other performances.

The Revenant might be the most narrow minded movie to ever win Best Picture. Not narrow minded in a moral sense but more like...nobody even bothered to give Hugh Glass an internal monologue. It's two hours of watching a guy knowing he'll live and do exactly what he does with virtually no meaning attached to it.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted