1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 29, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are in trouble. There is no natural fan base for that team. Even on Long Island, they were drawing flies at the end. They had a magical lightning-in-a-bottle time in the 70s and 80s, in which Long Island embraced them. It wasn't just the Stanley Cups. There was love for them from expansion.

I just don't see that ever happening again, not with all the other distractions people have now. There is a pretty passionate fan base, but it is way too small. Brooklyn is a disaster, so they are right to be looking to get out. The Long Island fans aren't doing Brooklyn. But moving to Flushing, or even Elmont, will mean they are banking on an old Long Island fan base hopping in their cars, or still catching a train to go to games. I don't see them having much chance with that. I hope I am wrong.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Maybe they should move to Quebec.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The new arena also would be competing with Barclays and the remodeled Nassau, as well as MSG and to a lesser extent Newark, for concerts and other events. How many 18,000-seat arenas do you need in a 20-mile radius?

Draft saved Draft deleted