1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 29, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I didn't imagine I'd be starting this, but then again I didn't imagine waking up from a nap to find the Predators had traded their captain and most popular player ever.

Shea Weber Traded For P.K. Subban In Blockbuster

It's a good trade for the Preds, possibly a grand fleecing, but it's hard not to be melancholy.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are correct. That is a great deal for Nashville. I don't like Subban -- for all the reasons that makes him polarizing -- but jeez. From a player for player perspective Nashville got the better of that, right? Montreal will get a real captain, but that was a big premium to pay for it.

Also, Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson today doesn't look like too great a deal for Edmonton. But maybe I am missing something. I don't get to see Hall play that much. Just know him by reputation. Larsson is OK, but that just doesn't seem like a good 1-for-1 deal to me for Edmonton.

And after a year of Steven Stamkos being fitted for a Maple Leafs jersey. ... He stays put.

No Canadian team made the playoffs last season. And today looked like another bad day for Canadian teams.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It's a fantastic trade for the Preds and highway robbery of the Habs. Weber is a good player who is already 31 (I think). Subban is 27 and a phenomenal possession defenseman.

Hall for Larsson is also robbery, this time for the Devils. Hall is a wonderful offensive talent that was mired in the Edmonton wasteland. Larsson is a RHD but doesn't really fix any of the Oilers issues.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Devils and Preds made Oilers and Canadiens look foolish. They robbed both teams.

dprince57 likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Maple Leafs can't catch a break.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think they did

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

A lot to think about following Friday's signing frenzy. Quick hits:
    1. I don't think Dean Lombardi envisioned trading Jones to Boston for Lucic only to have Jones bounce back to San Jose and Lucic also stay in the division after just one year in LA.
    2. Really like Calgary's signing of Troy Brouwer. Right money, right term. Leadership on-and-off the ice. St. Louis will miss him. Also thought grabbing Elliott last week was a good short-term move.
    3. Wonder what kind of impact Weber will have being in the room with Radulov?
    4. David Backes - five years at $6 mil per? INSANITY.

8. dixiehack

It wasn't a miracle cure in Nashville, that's for sure. And the Habs somehow look even worse for trading supposed locker room cancer Subban only to turn around and sign a cut and run drunk. Makes you wonder if a Francophone Chip Kelly is in charge.

JC likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hard to believe the Ducks couldn't come up with $3.7 million per for Perron and/or $3.3 million per for McGinn. Wonder if the change from Boudreau to Carlyle had anything to do with it. Stewart got only $1+ million per from Minny and he stays with Boudreau. Ducks did nothing yesterday and I read have only 7 of the 12 forwards who started their last game.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

What in the world was Montreal thinking? Getting Weber is smart. He's a big, sweet, coachable guy with a mean slap shot. Radulov? My goodness. I almost hope he bolts to the steppes after a month for the sake of his teammates.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Weber has a 8 mill cap hit till he's 40. Nashville stole Subban

dprince57 likes this.
  12. dixiehack

Most of the actual cash has been paid out in bonuses, which makes it something of a time bomb for the Preds. If he retires before the end of the contract (which I could easily see happening, especially if he winds up claimed by Vegas), Nashville takes a cap hit. If it happens in the last 2-3 years before the contact expires, it becomes an overwhelming penalty.

image.png

Draft saved Draft deleted