1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Ask Matteau, man.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All right, I'm going full Whitman here: Megatron, HOF?

His totals are not that high: 731/11619/83TDs. 15.9 avg. Led NFL in receptions once, TD receptions once, yards twice. First-team All-Pro three times.

He finishes 43rd all-time in receptions and 27th in yards. Big WR logjam too.

He is pretty strong on the eye test.

I say no, though. I feel bad that he had to spend his whole career with that shit team, but all in all he did not have a huge amount more impact than Herman Moore.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He passes one of the Bill James baseball Hall questions. Was the player regarded as the best at his position when he played.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So should this Titan fanboi think Murray has anything left in the tank?

And is there a worse cliche in football than "anything left in the tank?"

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes but don't get giddy to question one, no to question two.

7. LongTimeListener

The Cowboys really did a number on him in 2014. I'd be a little surprised if he ends up leading the Titans in rushing. Think you're headed to a committee there.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm as big a Herman Moore fanboi as there is on this board - Moore to Moore was incredible at UVA! - but Megatron had 63 more catches, nearly 2,500 more yards and 21 more touchdowns. They both played nine full seasons, with Moore adding on the equivalent of about 2/3 of a season when he was injured/playing out the string. That's not particularly close. He was basically a Moore and a quarter.

9. LongTimeListener

Yeah. Megatron had higher impact. But not a huge amount higher. Spread over their nine seasons, he averaged 7 more catches, 250 more yards and two more TDs. Better, but not exactly in a different world.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's fair. And I found myself nodding at your analysis of his HOF case.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wow. Looking at it more closely, Johnson's stats are nearly identical to Brandon Marshall's. The only significant difference between the two is YPC (Megatron's 15.9 to Marshall's 12.8).

So, if one is in, it's a tough argument to keep the other out.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hall of Very Good, unless he comes out of retirement and grabs a ring with the Patriots.

That also puts Matthew Stafford in definite make-it-or-break-it territory for 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.