1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Mario Williams cut by Bills, Brandon Lafell and Scott Chandler released by New England.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You may be right, but I think he' still got a couple years left in him. We'll probably get to find out up close if he signs with Tampa or Carolina.

I guess if they use his money to strengthen the defense or the O line in free agency, that's ok. But if they come up empty in free agency in those areas, this would look like a unnecessary loss to me.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Arian Foster cut by Texans.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I wonder if that puts Elliott in play for them in the draft.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Where do they pick, somewhere around 20 or 21, right?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, they made the playoffs so they'd likely have to trade up. Much less expensive than trading up for a QB, though.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Seems like it should. Blue and Polk aren't "good." QB is still their biggest need, but if there's no one they like in late first round, then Elliott makes a lot of sense. Also depends, I'm sure, how they feel on the "you shouldn't take an RB in the first round, period, philosophy. But, that offense needs playmakers. Elliott can be a factor in pass game. I could see him making sense as "best playmaker available"

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm on board with the no RB in first round policy as a rule of thumb, though there's definitely room for exceptions.

I'd be shocked if a team gives up the high value required to trade up in the first round for a running back.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Obviously, Luck returning will make a difference. But with their defense and a good back to go with Hopkins, they would still be very competitive in the AFC South even with another season of QB roulette.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the Colts don't draft an offensive lineman in the first round, maybe Luck will refuse to come back.

11. Mr. Sunshine

They'll draft Henry.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's no Todd Gurley in this year's draft it doesn't seem like. Figure Elliott goes mid-to-late 20s and Henry somewhere between 30 & 45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.