1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I loved the last question's set up: We only get these once a year, so we have to get the macro questions out of the way ...

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Outstanding!

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK.
    Open for sure......
    Dolphins
    NYG
    49ers
    Browns
    Titans

Of these 5, which is the best opportunity?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Giants. Dynamic offense with franchise QB and game-changing WR, needs work on defensive side. Defense is fixed more easily than offense.

6. bigpern23

So, Coughlin is out and says he'd coach elsewhere if the right opportunity arises. Will anyone hire the 69-year-old? If so, who? If not, is his next NFL stop in Canton?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The sad part is Jed was seen as an improvement from his parent's management of the team. Given the meddling of the SF front office, I really don't see Kelly as a fit at all there.
    I can't believe Mike Shanahan is still interviewing for jobs. I'm sure his kid is happy.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really don't know how you can judge some of these jobs until their front office situations get firmed up.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you go to the Giants you know that ownership doesn't meddle and they won't pull the plug quickly.

But, Coughlin's statement references he spoke with ownership, not GM Reese. I think Reese may be on the way out. THis will delay a coach's hiring. THe Giants can't afford to lose a 2nd round pick, especially at #10.

Also, Payton hired Rob Ryan after he shit the bed in Dallas. I question his judgment

10. bigpern23

Good point on Reese, who I agree is probably done. The Giants have to at least consider hiring McAdoo, right? Manning's window of opportunity is closing fast and, if they hire a coach with a vastly different offensive philosophy, it's going to take valuable time for him to pick up the new offense.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Yorks are becoming the NFL's answer to Jeff Loria: Build a great product, get some sucker, er, municipality to build you a new yard (forgiveable, considering Candlestick Park), then gut it like a car being parted out.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Manning's numbers improved considerably since McAdoo. He had 27 INTs in 2013, before McAdoo, he had 28 combined in the last 2 years. His completion percentage increased as well.
    I'm not sure in McAdoo as HC and Spags as DC with a new OC is an upgrade over COughlin, MCAdoo and Spags.

Draft saved Draft deleted