1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 3, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Let's get it started.

Browns fire Mike Pettine and GM Ray Farmer, as if it's ever going to matter who presides over that dumpster fire.

Browns clean house, fire GM Farmer, coach Pettine

49ers fire Jim Tomsula, despite his attempts to bring the team together like a big Italian dinner where they throw plates at each other:

49ers fire Tomsula after first season as coach

Dolphins won't retain interim guy Dan Campbell, duh:

Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell won’t return

Chipper's already gone, so that's four, and Pagano is on his way out and the Titans have to decide on making Mike Mularkey permanent.

As for the unforeseen opening, I'm going Green Bay. The Packers died midseason and the natives are getting restless.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Tomsula to the Browns?

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Gase will get one of these jobs.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

After the 49ers, why would you wish such a thing on the poor guy?

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why? What has Tomsula done to deserve another job?

I wonder if the Browns would consider Kelly. Didn't they offer him the job three years ago?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think the Chargers are going to keep Mike McCoy, especially if they move and need to generate publicity in LA.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Miami.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I don't buy any speculation that Sean Payton is leaving New Orleans. Mainly because the ownership situation is in flux. Tom Benson, his protestations notwithstanding, is on his way out as owner, one way or another (the situation is under litigation and he is reported to be in poor health), and they need to retain some stability with the coaching staff for the foreseeable future. It appears that Mickey Loomis will give up the Saints' GM position to run the whole Saints-Pelicans operation, giving Payton more leverage and more power. I think Dennis Allen has earned the permanent job as defensive coordinator and offensively, it will be business as usual. Drew Brees will probably restructure his contract somewhat to free up some cash under the salary cap that could be used for the lockdown CB they desperately need. As long as they have Brees playing close to the level he played this season, they will be a team you have to at least respect, and I think he's probably got two, maybe three, more years left. He and Payton are joined at the hip and I think Saints brass will do everything they can to keep their franchise player happy.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Why in the world would Kelly want to go to Cleveland......but also.......why in the world would Kelly be reaching out to SF?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think if they could get a first-round pick for Payton, they might let him walk, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

If they did let him go, I assume Doug Marrone would be the next in line.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mike Shanahan apparently interviewing with Miami tomorrow. It will be his second interview with the Dolphins. Hoo boy!

Draft saved Draft deleted