1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 NBA Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jun 23, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What's it about if it's not about money and not about winning.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Any time you can give a 4-year, $64M contract to a center who was unplayable in the playoffs, you've got to make that move, right?
    I can see taking a flier on him, hoping that this year's dropoff was due to injury, but that's a much richer flier than I'd be interested in.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Whiteside is staying in Miami for a rumored 4/98. That's a better deal than Mozgov's, right?

EDIT: And Batum for 5/120! He was good last year, but he averaged 15 a game and turns 28 this season. He's two years removed from being behind Wesley Matthews, Robin Lopez and Arron Afflalo in a team's pecking order. That seems...pricey.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

With the salary cap going up and up and up, the money these players are getting, and will continue to get, will seem crazy.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yes, though I think 4/64 for Mozgov is crazy even in this new world. Bantum seems roughly what I'd expect.
    Mzogov is...what, 16M/year. That's still, like, 17%-ish of the cap in the new world. That seems way too high a % for a player like Moz in the current NBA.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Stolen from Twitter....

DeRozen's deal: 5 years, $139 million
    LeBron's career: 13 years, $149 million. (through last season; add $20M for the 15-16 season, I guess, but still.)

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Have a happy Mark Cuban Gets Played Like a Violin Day!

poindexter likes this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If this online quiz (journalism!) is to be believed, he's going to sign coveted free agent Big Circus, at least.

Quiz: Where are you going in free agency?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the end, whether or not he turns into a good player will matter a lot more than his age. I'd rather he turn into a good player and be 23 than not turn into a good player and be 19.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

O.J. Mayo will NOT be partaking of the NBA's free agency bounty.
    He's been "dismissed and disqualified" from the league for two years for violating the league's drug policy. He's the 12th player in NBA history to receive a ban for drug use.

Former Bucks guard O.J. Mayo dismissed from NBA

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Never saw that coming

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They throw guys out for the first offense?

Draft saved Draft deleted