1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 17, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I once did an interview with an NFL executive (and former player) about Jason Campbell. He called Campbell "Reggie" the entire time.

3. Steak Snabler

Some changes to the "pace of play" rules. Mound visits are now limited to 30 seconds and between-innings breaks reduced by 20 seconds (now 2:05 for local broadcasts, 2:25 for national broadcasts).

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

But does the clock start when the catcher and first baseman come to chat with pitch, or when the pitching coach or skipper bound out of the dugout?

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Will he take less with a U.S. team considering lower taxes?

6. Steak Snabler

Also new rules on sliding:

7. Steak Snabler

So much for Fowler to the Orioles:

Strange move. Seemed like he was a perfect fit in Baltimore and part of a crowded OF picture in Chicago.

I guess this means Jason Heyward goes back to RF and Jorge Soler goes ... to the minors? ... to the trade block?

8. LongTimeListener

They just traded Chris Coghlan to the A's, so it sounds like a straight swap on the roster, although the starting lineup is still in question I guess.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They're going to review the neighborhood play now? Ugh. Replay is a total disaster in MLB. It should be restricted to fair/foul and home run/not home run. The rest of this crap is just awful.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Right, but they've now got 4 starting OFs for 3 spots: Fowler, Heyward, Soler and Schwarber (Schwarber is NOT a catcher). Coghlan was a fourth outfielder, but the other 4 are legit starters (though I guess Soler could be a platoon guy vs. lefties/defensive caddy for Schwarber).

11. LongTimeListener

I think there are enough ABs to go around to keep everyone fresh. Heyward and Schwarber will play most of the time, but even they'll get days off.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reviewing the neighborhood play will undo time saved by rushing mound visits.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted