1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 17, 2016.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Michael Conforto already has the first three checked off, but probably won't get a shot at the Olympics since baseball has been 86ed.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Baseball is coming back for Tokyo in 2020, I thought.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Reasonably big trade a-brewin':

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pear is a shape.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good for him, he reupped at a very team-friendly price last time. Not the biggest Joey Bats fan in town but he won't be easily replaced if he walks (and the bat flip was the greatest post-Carter moment in Jays history) , probably to the Red Sox to replace Ortiz! Always thought there was a better chance of Encarnacion resigning than Bautista.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Deal is off, after medical issues with one of the players, most likely Saunders who lonely played nine games last year after wrenching his knee stepping on a sprinkler head.

Sources: Jay Bruce trade to Blue Jays unravels

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What's Bautista think he's going to get? Cespedes money? That would be $20m for one year with an opt-out, and $27m for each of two years if he stays in.

Now, Cespedes is seven years younger than Bautista. Would a team be willing to give Bautista $75m over three years? $20m a year for a couple years?

I would imagine Bautista would want more than that and for more years as he has been better for longer than Cespedes. Good luck.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People say this every time a potential free agent turns down immediate money, and yet every free agent ends up better off for it. I remember the "WTF is Max Scherzer thinking!!!!" when he said no to $144M from the Tigers.

cranberry and JC like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have learned not to say so-and-so won't get paid. Cuz it seems they keep getting paid. And it's skyrocketing lately. Also, we don't know what Bautista wants. A team could very easily offer him $25m a year for a couple years. Is that what he's aiming for? Does he expect a five-year-deal? I'd bet against a $100m deal for him. But two or three years of $30m? Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Would the Blue Jays be the ones to pay it, though? Right now they've got $84.5m tied up for five players next season. All are 30 or older. Add what Bautista wants and you're probably at $110m. Not sure that paying that much for six 30+-year-olds makes a winning team. It definitely isn't the Mark Shapiro way. Perhaps he adjusts since he's with the big market Blue Jays now.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw on the Twitterverse yesterday that former Jay Colby Rasmus is being paid more in Houston this season than Bautista. Pay the man, Shirley.

Draft saved Draft deleted