1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I've only been to one Opening Day. In Cincinnati in 1996 when plate umpire John McSherry died on the field seven pitches into the game. Figured I'd stay away after that.

Tonight, like last year, the Royals just do all the little things right. Great time to be a Royals fan. Frustrating to watch if you're a Mets fan.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Davis showed some sack there. Closer is different than the 8th inning guy. He should be very good, but don't think he will match what he's done the last two years.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No need for the gold or whatever color it is that the Royals now have.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's just for this series.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In recent years, I understand WS champs get to wear gold for the opening series.

Lee MacPhail and the other old timers weep.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But I wish the hat Eddie mistakenly wore in the first wasn't just for spring training.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True. The Giants have worn unis with gold lettering the first series of the first home stand after their title years.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Really? Go look through the history of baseball uniforms. Commemorative versions are not something invented this decade by kids who will simply not get off your lawn.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

1921 Indians wore jerseys proclaiming them worlds champions.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not like he hasn't closed games before. He did it for much of last season.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who are some guys who were great set-up guys who failed as closers? LaTroy Hawkins comes to mind.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Alejandro Pena did some good work as a closer, but was usually used as a set-up guy.

As the opposite, Sparky Lyle was great as the Yankees closer, but didn't do so well when he was setting up,Gossage.

Draft saved Draft deleted