1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, proven right. I said the team that returned the core group from three consecutive playoff runs had weakened itself in every area, especially pitching, due to an offseason of cost-cutting. The baseball apologists swore the Pirates would be fine, focusing on the young players coming up, their history of turning scrubs into quality starters and the team's recent success. I was proven correct. Their pitching in particular was much weaker in 2016 than it had been in 2015.

I said dealing Melancon at the deadline was a mistake and it hurt the team's chances to win in 2016. Again, the apologists questioned whether the deal really helped the Nationals that much and if it even hurt the Pirates. For a while, they pointed to the hot streak by Ivan Nova as justification for a contending Pittsburgh team to sell at the deadline. Of course, I was proven right. The team is under .500 since the deal in part due to the weakened bullpen. They are still only three and a half games out of the final wild card. If they had added instead of selling at the deadline, they could have made up that ground.

The best part is the dishonesty in your argument. You claim the team's struggles since the deadline somehow justify selling. The truth is the cheap approach led to the downfall.

Seriously, which is it? Are you lying to the rest of us or yourself?

2. outofplace

As if that would work. I follow baseball and I do enjoy being proven right, which the Pirates have done for me this season. So have the Nationals, adding help in the offseason and then again at the deadline.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong.

4. outofplace

#lazy #liar

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

@outofplace ... you use that word ("proves" or its variants) far too often. No one can be as right as you are as often as you claim.

6. outofplace

You mangled that last sentence a little, but I get your point. Speak for yourself, DQ. :)

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wrong

8. outofplace

Just going to leave that there because I do love to be proven right. Thank you, JC.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wrong.

JC likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ!

11. outofplace

Somebody's letting his political thread anger spill. Please keep it there, tony. Thank you.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Wrong again.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted