1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or start the season a week to 10 days earlier and have most of those northern teams start off playing in warmer climes.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can buy an extra three or four days by tightening up the postseason schedule -- starting first-round series Wed/Thurs instead of Thurs/Fri, eliminating the travel day between Gms 4 and 5 (that travel day is a recent addition), taking one day max instead of two between LDS and LCS. That and starting a week earlier would get it back to ending before Halloween at least.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the one they'll never do. Schedule doubleheaders.

JC likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That doesn't take the entire season into account, though I never said he was still the No. 1 starter, especially given what Hendricks and Lester have done this season.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not a lot of love for the Rangers, even though they finish with the best AL record.

I like their lineup ... but can Colby Lewis and (maybe) Martin Perez come through on the back end of the rotation? If so, maybe Texas finally gets its title.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Owners and PA probably wouldn't go for this either, but I'm a fan of more double headers. Each team plays one Sunday double header per month, and a real twin bill, not a split gate.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't fathom how much my kids would eat.

doctorquant likes this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Sorry Han, we must have been typing the double header idea at the same time

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You appease those northern owners and PA by giving them a really nice beefy homestand during the season, like 14 or 15 in a row at home.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I hate to interrupt the nostalgia-fest, but doubleheaders would suck. I loved them too when they started at 5:30 and I was out of the ballpark by 11:00. Nowadays, could you imagine watching the Red Sox and Yankees take pitches for nine fucking hours?

doctorquant likes this.
  11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Exactly. You really need to play 30 exhibition games? Play 20, take 10 for the regular season, and start in the southern and western cities. Build in a day or two for March rainouts or bad weather. Really not that hard.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Release the times!

Draft saved Draft deleted