1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 3, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Another part the Pirates sold off at the deadline. (Hey, if y'all want to clutter this with pissing matches instead of talking about the games, I'm game.)

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FOX would be orgasmic over that.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Much as I don't want the Cubs to win, that would be a damn good series for ratings purposes. I could see that approaching 25-30 million viewers if it went to a sixth or seventh game.

Assuming they can knock off Toronto, I'd look out for the Orioles. That team's smacking homers lately...

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Nov. 2: Cubs beat Indians in Game 7, take World Series.

Nov.8: Bill Nye shocks the world, winning the presidency as a write in candidate. Nye: "I didn't even know I was running!"

Nov. 9: At press conference to formally concede the election, Donald Trump goes on 35-minute, obscenity laced rant that focuses on "fat ass chicks" and black people. Trump repeatedly refers to the latter as "you people."
    Elsewhere, Hillary Clinton is reattached to a life support system after going 485 days without treatment. She vows to run again.

Nov. 10: Asteroid hits, doing amazingly little damage. A frustrated God, in the midst of an eight-day bender, shrugs his shoulders, says "Aw, fuck it!" and destroys the planet earth.

Batman likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Arrieta wasn't as good as last season."

LOL.

That's a diplomatic way of putting it.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hmmm, who is the common denominator in these pissing matches?

7. outofplace

Dickie and LTL. They posted shots at me before I had even posted a word on this thread.

Cue LTL's bullshit response that it wasn't directed at me when we all know better. LTL dragged it here and Dickie piled on.

8. outofplace

I am nothing if not the perfect example of diplomacy. :D

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would say a 4.44 ERA over his last 16 starts is a lot worse than "wasn't as good as last season." It's just over half of his season. Most guys with those numbers wouldn't be in the post-season rotation. You still think he's the No. 1 starter. You're free to keep pumping up his April and May performances. I'm guessing Maddon would do well to consider July, August and September when making out his post-season rotation.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Average Series game time temperature: 35 degrees.

One of these years, MLB is going to get burned bad, weather wise, with one of these all northern match-ups running into November.

Lots of ways to keep the season from extending into November ( or even late October).

Don't give away days during October --case in point, play both wild card games the same day.
    If series end early, adjust the schedule.
    Use head to head tiebreakers to decide regular season ties.
    Move the season start up a week or two into mid March.

For the one sport that's truly hostage to weather, it seems a shame to play out the crown jewel event in weather that would likely warrant a postponement 8 months earlier.

You'd like to think the organization would have enough foresight to understand this day is coming, but then again, this is MLB we're talking about.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The only real way is to go to 154. I doubt the PA and owners are going to want to do that.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Could be some interesting scheduling with just one or two Pacific Time Zone teams, and they would be home the same days if the Giants advance.

There are also a ton of big market and/or popular teams -- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets/Giants, Nats and possible Orioles. All can't play in the prime time window.

I'm guessing Rangers v. wildcard are saddled with all the early starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted