1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

He and Trout are great fun to watch, just as individuals — even though they seemingly make every play and get bucketfuls of hits against your team.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And he has done it for 50 innings, less than a third of what the other Cy Young Award contenders have thrown. It is still difficult for a relief pitcher to get the necessary votes. The last one was Eric Gagne in 2003. Before that, it was Dennis Eckersley in 1992.

Britton's numbers are better than either of those guys in their Cy Young seasons, but the real issue is the comparison to his peers this season.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of Britton's 37 saves, it appears 10 have been in one-run games, and 12 were with a three-run (or more) margin.

Not exactly the most high-leverage, nail-bitingest clutchiness, probably.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dave Robertson would have blown at least six of the latter.

5. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Kris Bryant for NL MVP?

He's not even the MVP of his own team. Anthony Rizzo is the Cubs MVP. His offensive numbers are the equal of Bryant's and he plays Gold Glove caliber defense at first base. He's also the leader in the Cubs clubhouse. If this year's NL MVP is a Cub, it should be Anthony Rizzo.

Sortable Player Stats

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Their offensive numbers are pretty much equal. In that case you give it to the guy who doesn't play 1B.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Britton had a breather of a 1-run opportunity tonight.

8. LongTimeListener

It ... is ... time!

20 games left and I'd say the fields have been narrowed considerably.

I know this was correct when you wrote it, but man, it's like Bryant read this board and played in direct response. There's now a 30-point gap in their OPS. Murphy will get some attention, but Bryant should win handily.

As for the Cy Young, has to be Hendricks, no? He is almost half a run better than the next-best ERA and should finish in the 30 start/200 IP range. FIP isn't as great if a voter wants to fixate on that, but I don't think it makes enough of a difference. Also helps that nobody is blowing the doors down in the always-fun WINS!!!!! category.

9. Dick Whitman

I still expect Hendricks to have a blow-up start or two. He needs that ERA to be in the low 2.00s to have a shot, I think, with the innings and strikeout totals as mediocre as they are. There's a lot of guys in play right now. Bumgarner. Lester. Even Five-inning Jake, if he can defy the odds and string together a few six- or seven-inning starts.

In the A.L., I think Trout will probably win it. He's approaching 30-30, and Altuve's been slumping for a while now. Machado, Donaldson, and Betts are all in play, as well, but Trout is the front-runner.

Sale probably as the A.L. Cy Young Award winner right now, even though innings don't matter and he doesn't know how to pitch good.

10. LongTimeListener

There are a half-dozen legit candidates for AL Cy, including WINS!!!!! Porcello.

11. Dick Whitman

I just don't see a guy with his strikeout numbers winning it in this era, and voters have pretty much completely abandoned wins as a criteria.

We have a few starts to go - one bad start can disqualify someone, basically. But right now, I'd say it's Sale and Kluber basically with identical numbers, followed by everyone else.

12. LongTimeListener

Have voters abandoned wins, though? Scherzer won three years ago at 21-3, 2.90. There were a few guys ahead of him in ERA, ERA+ and/or FIP. When Kluber won, Hernandez was a little bit better in those categories.

If Porcello gets to 24-3 and his ERA is in the ballpark (which it is now), I think he wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted