1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Britton is 37 for 37 in saves ops and has a 0.54 ERA (3 ER in 50 IP). He has basically pitched a perfect season.

2. Songbird

For someone who demands factual accuracy, oop, he has played 6 positions in real games.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I did not say it was inaccurate. I said it was misleading, and it is, which is why I pointed out that he only played one inning at two of those positions.

4. Songbird

Yeah, and had he fielded a grounder at first and threw it over the catcher's head to let the Brewers win, people would denigrate his shitty defense at first base as a reason not to give him the MVP.

One night long ago, Bert Campaneris played all 9 positions in a game. But it's not that big a deal because he only played each position for one inning.

5. outofplace

Your first argument is made up. You are assuming a reaction to something that didn't even happen.

The second is irrelevant to the discussion, unless you want to start pushing Will Ferrell's candidacy.

6. Songbird

He also leads the league in a bunch of those stupid stats.

Screen shot 2016-08-22 at 10.45.53 AM.png

7. outofplace

I'm not arguing against Bryant as an MVP candidate. There is certainly a very strong case to be made for him and for Murphy. I'd say it is too close to call at the moment, but we do have more than a month remaining in the season.

I'm just taking issue with one misleading part of your argument.

8. Songbird

Murphy has a great case too.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Always amusing when this discussion pops up for the first time every year.

On Aug. 22, 2015, Big Jake was 15-6 with a 2.30 ERA while Zack Greinke was polishing his shelf and installing a spotlight for his pending Cy Young Award.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it was similar with Kluber and King Felix a couple years ago. He caught him in September.

11. outofplace

When you are dealing with that level of pitching, it can turn on a start. Hernandez had one terrible outing against the Blue Jays in one of his last few outings and that seemed like it cost him the award.

12. outofplace

True. It's just an educated guess at this point because there is so much season left to be played.

Draft saved Draft deleted