1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 3, 2016.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

When I saw that Els made 10, I just assumed there were penalty strokes involved, but, no; the Els video shows him needing six putts to cover what looks to be about 3 feet — maybe less.

2. Two double bogeys and a triple and a beeline to the range after his round.

3. The video was unbelievable. Wow!

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Day comin'

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Try that at a Presidential or Presidential candidate function/gathering (minus the putting green). Guarantee you'd be treated harshly if you tried that one.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bubba just missed a gimme on 11, and followed with one of the best WTF? looks I've ever seen.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There were some pretty harsh things written during the 2003 Martha Birk situation, including some by Christine Brennan and Len Shapiro. Karen Crouse of the New York Times has never gone easy on them.
    All three are credentialed and here this year.
    UPDATE: Shipnuck is in the house. So the claim that Augusta National will not credential you if they don't like what you write (or, in his case, the private areas he tries to crash) is horseshit.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you're not going to be able to run on a basketball court or football field during a practice or a game without some issues (like a coach or player decking you, for example).
    The Masters has progressed under Payne. They have female and African-American members. Women reporters can go into the locker room. Shane Ryan seems to want to bring up the past (and yes, some of it is sordid) an awful lot when almost all of those issues have been resolved. Boiled down, he seems to have a problem with practices the club takes for safety (no running, everyone has to wear shoes, because there are a lot of hills and it gets slippery when wet), common courtesy (giving the media rides to the media center and banning cell phones on the course) and what I call DUH!!! issues (you can't go onto the practice areas, you can't barge into the Butler Cabin and you can't crash the club's private party it gives for the champion). He also is flat-out wrong about a lot of stuff (there are birds, there are pine cones on the ground, anyone can take pictures Monday-Wednesday, just like any PGA Tour event). It also was a one-sided story with one named source, the biggest malcontent to ever cover golf.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or, really, any sporting event.
    The colleges in my state have all sent out the list of media policies for spring football practice. Almost all of them put restrictions on what can and can't be filmed or photographed, what periods reporters can observe, cell phone usage at practice, etc. I might go cover a minor league baseball game tonight. It's pretty loose as far as access, but I'm still not allowed in the dugout even if it's the quickest route from one camera vantage point to another. As someone else said, see what the Secret Service does to you if you try to wander around at a presidential appearance. It'll make that Augusta security guard look like Officer Friendly.
    Credentials come with access, but also restrictions to help the actual event go on as expected. Every credential. Every venue.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Any time someone threatens Spieth's number, Augusta bites them. Day is the latest.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I am friends with Ron Hickman, who is a VP for the PGA of America and who attends most of the major events as a referee. He tells a great story about a time when he was at the Ryder Cup, when President Bush showed up. Ron wasn't aware of this and he was tooling along in his cart toward his assigned hole when he saw his path was blocked by a rope. So he just ducked under the rope, didn't think anything of it and continued on his way until he was suddenly confronted with Secret Service agents asking him what the hell he was doing. Ron showed them his PGA badge, told them he was the referee for such-and-such hole and this was the short cut to the hole. They told him it was a restricted area for the president, and "encouraged" him to find another route to his hole. He said, "yes sir," and went found another route to his hole.

Batman likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is Gary Player the youngest-looking and acting 80-year-old on the planet?

Draft saved Draft deleted