1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 3, 2016.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One of the earliest -- and biggest -- Spieth fans on here. But something is off. Hasn't been the same since he did the UAE-Singapore doubleheader a couple months ago. His putting from 20 feet and out was huge for him last year and has deserted him this year.

Sunday, he roars into contention, then falters. Again, something is off.

Would love to see him pull the repeat but I'm not feeling it. I like Louie and Fowler.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only way I see Fowler winning is if he's up four shots after 54 holes. Don't have any confidence in him holding off multiple challengers down the stretch.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Until '15, Fowler was criticized for not closing, then he closed the door and won multiple times last year, including the Players; you've got to get close and keep knocking on the door and he's done that, he'll break through. He's got all the tools, long and straight off tee, nice short game, really good putter. Oh and a great guy (which doesn't mean squat).

Day is just like Fowler, but he's got even more power, and even a better short game. Plus he's knocked on the door at Augusta several times already.

Although not my fav, Oosthuizen is looking really good.

Those are my 3 picks.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess one of the freshest memories I have of Fowler is the way he kind of went brain dead down the stretch in Scottsdale.

One guarantee: Mike Weir won't win.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in the odds of South Africans against the field as a prop bet. You've got Oosthuizen. Schwartzel, Branden Grace and longshot sentimental favorite Ernie Els. Former champ Trevor Immelman, too, who's fallen so far off the map Weir can't see him.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What? I love Mike Weir, eh?

Of course, now that you've counted him out, he'll go all 1986 Nicklaus on your ass.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can't putt a lick.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gotta be tough for Mike Weir to watch this 10-11 year old girls division long drive and wonder if he would place</p>&mdash; No Laying Up (@NoLayingUp) <a href="">April 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Man, that post was like a Tiger Woods drive!

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

C'mon, man. Guy's not a robot. Not sure he'll be in the running, but he's good enough and confident enough to turn it around in a hurry.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

'86 was one of the best hours of television I've seen in a while. Yeah, the story has been told a few times, but there were some new nuggets that made it well worth it. Especially why Jack decided to wear yellow on Sunday.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Would love to see Fowler win it.
    Els wins high SA placing.

Draft saved Draft deleted