1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, May 4, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Given the abominable conditions, I could see a historically slow race today.

There will also be a firestorm of criticism if there's any kind of mishap.

Given the millions of bucks in stud value of these horses, not to mention the animal cruelty/safety issues, at some point you have to set a standard where you say, "fuck it, wait until tomorrow." They don't run the Indy or Daytona 500s in knee-deep rain.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And there goes that. The Triple Crown drought continues.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's up to like eight months.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Last year it was, can any horse ever do it again? This year, it's how come that horse didn't do it again? And people call horses dumb.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exaggerator really nailed that triple hoof loop, while Nyquist didn't stick the landing.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fast first quarter in Preakness history. He was cooked before the turn.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Because the horses spread out so the jocks could avoid each other's mud, Exaggerator got the rail and a free ride for his run. Giving a come from behind horse the rail is a real good way to get beat.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Last year's Preakness was in a monsoon.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

At a lot of tracks, the rail is horrible in the slop. They'll stay two-wide to avoid the deepest muck. I don't know if that's the case at Pimlico.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Before the race NBC had one of their people walking on the track to show how muddy it was. She pointed out the mud was much deeper on the inside -- she sank down past her ankle along the rail, then walked out to the middle where she seemed to be on firm ground. I was thinking about that while watching the race as Exaggerator took the inside track, wondering if it would slow him down or tire him out for his late run. Apparently it wasn't an issue.

12. Michael_ Gee

He had previous run well in the mud and likes the rail. It was good for him if not other horses. But I think the way the field spread out on the track and the quick pace (in mud!) were what were best for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted