1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Baseball Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, only about 52 percent of the new voters last year voted for Bagwell. But more than 90 percent picked Piazza. So maybe there are just a bunch of people who don't believe Bagwell is an HOFer

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

In terms of the era Bagwell was very good but didn't stand out over everyone. Frank Thomas and Palmeiro played the same position during the same time. Carlos Delgado's numbers are comparable to Bagwell. In terms of offense at his position, Piazza blows away everyone of his era and all time not many compare.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

HOF line for a comparable player

.270/.374/.505 147 OPS+ 22 years played 2211 hits, 353 2B, 521HRs 1550 RBI. ROY MVP (plus 3,9,10)

Bagwell .297/.408/.540 149 OPS+ 15 years played 2314 Hits, 488 2B, 449 HRs, 1529 RBI. ROY MVP (plus 2,3,7,7,)

4. cjericho

Yes Bagwell's numbers are better. Any catcher in the last 40 years that close to Piazza's numbers?

5. heyabbott

no one is close to Piazza during Pizza's career. Mauer Ivan Rodriguez Alomar and Posada are probably the the next 4 catchers who overlap Piazza.

6. heyabbott

7. cjericho

Didn't realize how little Mauer has caught in the last 5 years, not more than 75 games in a season since 2010. Unless he has some insane resurgence would have to think no shot at HOF. Pretty sure it's been talked about here before, but he has amazingly little power for someone his size. A lot of hr power is bat speed and hand wrist strength, but for a guy that big who was a star to have only one season with more than 13 hrs is hard to figure.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

None of those four are close to Piazza.

Mauer's numbers are decent ... for a second baseman.

9. heyabbott

I agree, none are close to Piazza. I thought, during their career, that Alomar and Rodriguez had HOF potential, but in the end, excellent careers but not HOF.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When he was carrying the Marlins to the World Series title in 2003, I thought Rodriguez was a lock, but ultimately, yeah, he's going to fall short.

11. cjericho

Think I Rodriguez should be in, considering defense. He threw out 46% stealing, nobody was that high for decades.

12. cjericho

If I Rodriguez doesn't get in, what catcher after Piazza does?

Draft saved Draft deleted