1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Baseball Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Hall of Fame announced that there will be around 475 ballots sent out this year after revamping the process in July, down from the 600 last year.

2. Della9250

The 2016 HOF ballot: Garret Anderson, Brad Ausmus, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Luis Castillo, Roger Clemens, David Eckstein, Jim Edmonds, Nomar Garciaparra, Troy Glaus, Ken Griffey Jr., Mark Grudzielanek, Mike Hampton, Trevor Hoffman, Jason Kendall, Jeff Kent, Mike Lowell, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Mike Mussina, Mike Piazza, Tim Raines, Curt Schilling, Gary Sheffield, Lee Smith, Sammy Sosa, Mike Sweeney, Alan Trammell, Billy Wagner, Larry Walker, Randy Winn.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Griffey and Hoffman.

4. Della9250

Hoffman has no shot at first ballot thanks to the voters' stance on closers. The most likely class is Griffey and Piazza. I would hope Bagwell or Raines could get a big enough boost but their best shot is probably 2017 when there is no sure-fire guy to due to PED suspicions (Pudge and Manny) and a guy in Vlad I think voters view as short the thr threshold.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bagwell should get in this year. So should Piazza. Both belong ahead of Hoffman.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Willing to bet Grudzielanek and Randy Winn each get at least one vote. (Waiting for someone to support them getting at least one vote.)

7. Della9250

Bagwell should have been in three years ago, but I don't see him getting the 20 percent jump he needs. Even by culling the voters, he probably has a high-water mark of around 64 percent. I don't think he gets the 50 or so more votes to push over the line.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably true. I'm just sick of voters keeping a guy out based on rumors of PED use, especially when there is no legitimate evidence.

9. Della9250

The thing is that most of those voters just got their votes revoked. So this year will be an interesting reflection of Bagwell

10. Della9250

Well it only took 10 revealed ballots for Garrett Anderson to get a vote. Came from Earl Bloom, who also has given Jim Edmonds his only vote so far

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You can make a case for Edmonds.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Della, I had my vote revoked because I have not actively covered baseball since 2005. I'm not complaining, it's their museum. But don't believe for a second that's going to end the PED issue in the vote. That split the voters regardless of age. There is about the same percentage relatively new voters who won't vote for a Bagwell or Piazza as there was among the older voters who got culled.

Draft saved Draft deleted