1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 APSE winners being posted this week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Feb 23, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Granted it has been a hot minute since I looked up anyone's circulation numbers, but Memphis is under 75k now? Ouch.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We need to work for Indian, Japanese or Chinese newspapers.

India: "Times of India" circulation increased from 2.951 million to 3.322 million from 2008 to 2013.
    "Dainik Jagran" circulation increased from 2.384 million to 3.113 million from 2009 to 2013.

Japan: "Yomiuri Shimbun" circulation: 9.690 million. "Asahi Shimbun" circulation: 7.450 million. "Mainichi Shimbun" circulation: 3.322 million.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't think they'd "get" my voice.

Oggiedoggie likes this.
  4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I wonder if those papers work to protect the writer's voice from the backfield.

5. 13 media groups win top sports journalism prize

Congrats to all. (My name is in there, too :))

Also: "Matt L. Stephens of the Fort Collins Coloradoan and Brad Elliott Schlossman of the Grand Forks (N.D.) Herald led the individual awards, capturing four each."

If I'm not mistaken, Stephens posts on this board. What a haul. Way to go.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet to be in a situation where you have four high school writers, a college writer, an SE and off-site pagination. You better goddamn rake in U-30,000.

7. Cheery fella, you are!

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Ah, that familiar attitude. Anyone who succeeds must be overstaffed! Newspapers have done so well with that approach.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would hardly count that as a positive.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Cmon now.

11. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

First off, congrats to all the winners.
    Not saying you can't succeed, but it makes it much harder when they tell you you're going to be the beat writer for a college program and then three months into the job the sports editor retires, and instead of hiring another person they tell you to do the desk and take prep calls twice a week. When you're understaffed, you're not going to be able to do all the stories you want, that's just a fact. We've done well, all things considered. Placed top 10 daily sections. But it hasn't been easy, and all you can think about is how much more you could do if they just hired another person.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We all think that way. It isn't easy. Great work wasn't easy when departments had zillions and it sure as hell isn't easier now.
    Find a way. Figure out what you can do and do it the best it can be done.

I had a similar line as twirling time's used on me when we won an award some years ago and it took every ounce of Mature Mike (and there aren't many ounces of that) not to react with a few F bombs. Shake your head, walk away and you know why you won and they didn't.

Bust your ass, whether you have two or 20.

Draft saved Draft deleted