1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 American Idol Final Season thread - is anyone gonna watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jan 6, 2016.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're right in that Seavey was kind of force-fed to the viewers. He was kept around at least two, and probably, three weeks too long. I felt like just that was what led to a lot of the griping. But he did start to sound the same every week. That was my main gripe about him, musically speaking.

As for tonight's show, I thought Gianna Isabella killed her solo performance, Jordan Sasser got a little ridiculously ripped by the judges, and the harp player, in my opinion, finally sounded like she belonged on the show. If it had been up to me, she never would have gotten put through the auditions, based on the wailing she did back then.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The fix is in and it's clear. Idol is trying to make this a girl-heavy season; tonight only had four guys, next week has seven vs. a girls field that includes four of the best five.
    That said, tonight's performances surprised me a little bit. Jeneve stole the night, Jenna was terrific and Gianna blew the doors off the theatre.
    Here's my blog, take it for what it's worth, I wrote it pretty hammered but that's my thing.
    American Idol Top 24: Nobody told Jeneve Mitchell the fight was over and everybody's gonna regret that

3. Rhody31

If you're gonna root for Dalton, I think you can add the u and no one will care.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

My girl Emily Brooke had a horrible, horrible night. Never start a song in a low register. Personally, my favorite of the night was Avalon Young. I think she's a dark horse in this competition. Smart song choice, too. Sonika and Stephany are a dime a dozen, and I'm not a fan of Gianna because I think the show should be a rags-to-riches tales, not "My Mom Was a Pop Star in the 80s and Now She is Overseeing My Career." But that's just me.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm with you, and after last night he should be gone. At least he ditched the man bun

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Please settle an argument between me and Mrs. Gator: Jordan Sasser is gay, true or false?

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

RIP Jordan's manbun.

Also, stealing the show for me tonight was La'Porsha. You talk about an A++++ song choice? She rocked Tina.

I wonder if Emily was sick because that was as shaky as I've heard her yet.

8. Rhody31

He could be, but with a wife and kid I'm gonna go false.

9. Flash

Flash Active Member

Beard.

10. Flash

Flash Active Member

Goat Girl got through for the weird factor, right?

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm shocked they sent Emily home because of her marketability, but she was not good either night.

And to hell with this competition, I'm ready for the American Idol wedding between Lauren Alaina and Mackenzie Bourg.

12. Rhody31

She was on the cusp for being Top 7 for this group and it's clear the producers set this up to get her in. Next week's 12 is stacked and she wouldn't have a chance.
    I think she's headed for the sing off b/c producers want to see if she can drum up the votes to get through. All they care about is votes and eyeballs on TV. Jeneve has a different sound - she's old, old country - and if someone dressed her like a teen that would be great, but who knows if that'll draw. They have no idea, so putting her in the Top 7 wasn't a bad play.
    Next week is gonna be a shit show. Three Top 10 overall performers singing on the girls side, four really good guys going and there's bound to be at least one upset.

Draft saved Draft deleted