1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 American Idol Final Season thread - is anyone gonna watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Idol fan so I'm in regardless, but I'm curious to see what the overall numbers for the show are gonna look like. I think they'll get a bump because it's the final season, but the ratings will pale in comparison to what they were in the show's prime.

Oh, and a name to know - Adam Lasher. He was booted in the semifinals under suspicious circumstances. My theory - which picked up steam among the blogs - was producers kicked him off knowing he'd steamroll everyone. They already had two great WGWG contestants; Nick Fradiani, who went on to win, and Mark Alexander, who was in his last year of eligibility. Lasher was denied, but he's back this season. If you could get pre-show odds on him, take them.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Haven't followed the show in awhile and have been unimpressed with those who have won. That said, I was surprised Fox cut the order by a few episodes. Figure they could have brought back past winners and "memorable" contestants each week. It's never been about the singers anyway.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What does WGWG mean? And this swan song will be fail without Sanjaya and the waterworks girl having a final moment

4. DanOregon

white guy with guitar

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was there from Cook through Phillip Phillips. (Boy, Lee DeWyze had himself a career and a half.) They must have lost me during the Phillips season, because I don't even recognize the last three winners.

6. dooley_womack1

Who would the most worthless winner be? Taylor Hicks? Roo? Cook vs Archuleta was a pretty bad final

7. DanOregon

Outside of Underwood and Clarkson, mostly you just see the winners sing National Anthems. But I get it, these shows have become saturated. And one day you're competing against another 20-year-old small town hero, the next you're competing against Kanye, Beyonce and Luke Bryan for record sales. Big difference.
    It's a show more than anything, cast with a variety of types to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, produced to create storylines and drama... if the winner ever does anything with their career is just a bonus.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'll be watching. I've enjoyed "American Idol" throughout. The last three seasons have actually been strong, in my opinion. Especially last year, there was some really good talent.

But I agree, it's not always been about the talent, unless you're referring to the talent, rapport and commentary of those on the judging panel. Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr., and even Steven Tyler have made the show the past few seasons, Simon Cowell notwithstanding.

9. dooley_womack1

A show that developed country's new sweetheart, one of its top female pop singers, a movie star, and the new face of Queen has a decent legacy, I would think

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll watch. Have seen most seasons, but bailed during the year when Nikki Minaj was on. Started watching again because my wife loves Harry Connick Jr.
    As WriteThinking said, the last couple years have been good, partially because they have minimized the untalented and delussional.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Maybe now Ryan Seacrest can go back to his true calling as host of the junior American Gladiators.

[​IMG]

Then again, I think both him and Maria Sansone are pretty well off since those days ...

[​IMG]

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Sincere response: I didn't realize it was still on.

Draft saved Draft deleted