1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

NBCSN picked up the Leafs game. Good move.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Although, I should wait for the Chris Long eye test before I decide.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Jim Diamond was in good form. I've always liked his writing.

As for the the Weber/Subban trade, it's like seeing the last denizen of an era retreat into the rink fog. It was time for him to go and I wish him well, but it was a little sad, too. Subban is going to be good for Nashville. #CaptainObvious

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's make absolute determination after 2 games, eh?
    I like both of those guys. The trade might be a push.
    Can we wait to see which one gets the most points and he will be the trade winner? That's the way you do it, right?

5. ChrisLong

I'll just say they let the Islanders score a goal last night, set up by a guy carrying a broken stick, and wait for JC to come here and try to rip me to shreds.
    PS -- It is not a reviewable play, but the four refs did converse and let it stand.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

NHL is still out to get those dastardly Ducks.

7. ChrisLong

Same play, different uniforms. What do you say?? Honest answer this time, please.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's a missed call, it's that simple.

Why do you believe the league has it out for the Ducks?

9. ChrisLong

I really don't believe that. But, yes, we all see things through a different colored glasses.
    When I covered hockey, I always tried to determine why the play happened, not just who scored; i.e. who made the pass, who blocked the shot, who was late coming back, who did good, who messed up. I still do that as much as I can through the live action and the replays. I probably obsess over that when I really should just sit back and enjoy the game.
    As I watch nearly every game, I note the missed calls, especially the ones the announcers complain about. Just seems out of balance. The Ducks benefit from mistakes, too, just doesn't seem to be as much.
    Their first game against Dallas, the Stars were working the puck around, Cracknell skates up to Bieksa in front of the crease and cross-checks him in the back. Bieksa tumbles forward and also knocks over Vatanen, too, leaving NO defensemen in front of the net and Roussel scored easily to break a 2-2 tie.

How about you and I call a truce and offer good hockey posts here. You obviously know a helluva lot more about hockey than I do, but I'm not exactly a rube, either. If I fuck up, go ahead and challenge me. But you were wrong about the Kesler as Ducks MVP last year (on the Trout thread) and our squabble triggered Elliotte to make a blue-font (he just forgot to use the blue font) post to shut us up, either that or he inhaled too much chlorine in Rio.
    Deal?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's fine but you are still wrong on Kesler.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In last night's game, San Jose had a 5 on 3 power play. Derek Stepan and Rich Nash actually got a 2 on 1 going the other way somehow, but they couldn't get a shot on net. Nash went behind the net to recover the puck. ... and Brent Burns crosschecked him knocking him down. He broke Nash's stick, and when Nash fell to the ice, Burns jumped on top of him and kept him pinned down while San Jose broke out for a 4 on 2 going the other way. They scored.

I don't think the officials have it out for my team, but that was just brutal to watch as a fan. It was like a broad daylight mugging in front of a cop, who stands there munching on his donut rather than doing something. Luckily it didn't figure into the outcome.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You two need to go to a game together. Invite me, I'll buy the beer. I have three arenas I can get to in 20 minutes from my joint so get your crotchedy asses to New York

Liut, JC and spikechiquet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted