1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Caps have won only one playoff series vs the Pens, it's not the same players, but wonder if it's in their heads.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not terrible. Only missed on Montreal and Chicago.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Except for you having Chicago going to the Stanley Cup - that half of your bracket is a bit broken.

Go Caps!

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Congrats to Moddy and the Caps.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

My perception all year was that the Caps were good all year on face offs, but if there was one thing that frustrated me the most, it was how impressively the Leafs dominated the dot.

Hopefully we get it back against the Sin-guins.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah - though the winning plays in games 5/6 OT came off a faceoff win. Won them when they counted!

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, that's problematic.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Too much Caps talk. :)

Rangers-Ottawa. ... I feel more confident about them handling Ottawa than I did Montreal, which is why they will probably lose in 5.

Ottawa established this neutral zone trap during their regular season games that was very effective at times at keeping the Rangers from getting the puck and going, the way they were playing at the time. They are a disciplined defensive team and the Rangers are going to have to be really patient to know when to force the action and when not to -- too many players, particularly JT Miller, have been prone to trying to force things, which leads to dangerous turnovers and odd man rushes. Ottawa is going to trap. The Rangers have had trouble with that style at times. So. ...

I fear Erik Karlsson, of course. Hopefully some of the hitting from the Montreal series (most surprising physical series ever, given those two teams) carries over and they slow him down a bit. Watching Big Game Bras(sard) play against the Rangers will be bittersweet. I always loved him. Other than that, I know that if the Rangers are on top of their game, they are the more talented team. ... by a decent amount. Craig Anderson has had a tough year with his wife and I am not taking anything away from him, but he is not what they just faced in Carey Price.

I think the Rangers will win it in 6. I can't complain. If they win this series they will have to face Washington or Pittsburgh; there are no free rides to the cup. But Montreal and then Ottawa was the relatively easy draw, given how Columbus and Pittsburgh fared with their draw, and I agree there is something really wrong with that given that they each had better seasons than NY. The only thing more ridiculous would have been if Boston had won, because I think the Rangers would have handled them really easily.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Bruins have two real stars, Bergeron and Marchand, a number of young scorers with promise of the sort that do better in the regular season than the playoffs and a nondescript defense corps. They needed Rask to be much better than excellent to have a shot against Ottawa, who they never beat in the regular season. Bruins have celebrated physical hockey above all since before WW2. and they just don't have the personnel to play that way. It'll be interesting to see if they can wholeheartedly commit to the speed-skill mode next year.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ottawa really slowed things to a grind when I saw them against WSH in the regular season. I think the Rangers have more skill and speed and the better goaltender, but who the hell knows, it's the playoffs.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Apparently Joe Thornton was playing through a torn ACL and MCL. Yikes.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And Marleau had a broken thumb and Hertl a broken foot. But none of them came close to Logan Couture playing with the inside of his mouth collapsed and held together by multiple layers of wires from a puck to the face. (The early estimate is he will have eight teeth removed.) I was relieved for him when they lost. They shouldn't have let him play through that no matter how badly he wanted to.

Draft saved Draft deleted