1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm being greedy and hoping for nine more. But yeah, this needs to be the year they break through to the conference finals at least.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how many days it will take for Nail Yakupov to drive Ken Hitchcock bat-shit crazy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it was more than that. He missed a big chunk of time with one of them, if I remember correctly. At some point, you have to wonder if he needs to stop playing.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's his third.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I got that from Evil's post. Just saying I am surprised because I had thought it was more. It isn't just about the number of concussions, but the severity.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Red Wings fan here. This is the last season at Joe Louis Arena, which could be even more depressing because the talent drain that has plagued the team for a solid decade now has reached critical mass with the loss of Datsyuk to the KHL. As usual, Holland has compensated by throwing bad money at any decent player who is willing to sign a free-agent deal with Detroit and screwing up the NHL development of prospects who could provide similar production for a third of the cost. Just this week, the Wings couldn't find roster spots for Teemu Pulkkanen and the hilariously named Martin Frk, then lost them on waivers for nothing to Minnesota and Carolina, respectively. Meanwhile, they found room for Steve Ott, which makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

EDIT: I freely admit that most of my disappointment about Frk ending up in Carolina is rooted in my inability to use all of the great headline puns I had stored up while he was languishing around the minors for years, as the Wings are notorious for doing with their prospects.

Shameless plug: As a side project, I do a little Twitter thing I call Hockey Today 140 (@HockeyToday140), which consists of one-tweet recaps of all the day's games. A good TL;DR version of the preceding day in the league.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    ChrisLong and OscarMadison like this.
  7. How many concussions did Lindros suffer before he hung it?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, the one where Penguins fans continue to say that Dave Steckel went out of his way to headhunt. Which simply wasn't true. He also missed a huge chunk of season after a hit by someone from the Lightning. Can't remember exactly who it was.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Out of his way might be strong, but he sure as hell knew what he was doing.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Now Jack Eichel down at practice and unable to put weight on his left leg, per the Buffalo News beat writers...

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are saying high ankle sprain. That is typically a month and a half. Horrible news for the Sabres.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Welcome to Toronto, Auston Matthews. First NHL goal, first NHL hat trick and all before the game was half done.

Draft saved Draft deleted