1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Gerard Gallant once stepped on Borje Salming's face, making Salming even uglier than he was the previous day. That's all I got.

Fly and JC like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps lost 3-0 to the Islanders at home last night and looked like a steaming pile of shit doing it.

I'll preface this comment by saying this is not an excuse, but an explanation/observation from watching a fair amount of games this year.

I don't think this team can get up for these November-December games on a consistent basis any more. Playing at a high level at this time last year gained them diddly squat come spring. They're beaten over the head by the fan base/local columnists that nothing in the regular season matters and that they'll be judged solely on the postseason (fair point, yes). I don't know if it's a case of waiting to flip a switch, as they say, but they skate uninspired as shit some nights and great on others (see the win over the Penguins). They've played lazy of late and are taking a shit ton of minor penalties. Trotz is trying to manufacture urgency but it doesn't seem to be taking. Is this dangerous? I don't know. But it's nearly 100 percent certain that they'll have to play the Penguins or Rangers just to get out of round 1. (Thanks stupid playoff system.) Nothing that happens in the regular season will change that, unless they screw around enough to fall out of the playoff race. Can't imagine that happening as long as Holtby is between the pipes. Home ice is nice but not essential. I feel like I'm watching a team that's doing just enough to stay in the top three of the Metro standings but not much else. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

EDIT to add: Staying in the top three may not be easy, because Columbus is for real.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cosmo, I got my first taste of Buffalo last night and the Rangers were really lethargic and gave the game away. They were back on their heels in the third period and let the Sabres take the game -- and good for Buffalo for taking it.

I agree with you about Columbus, and I don't put Buffalo on that level, but 1) they have very good goaltending, and 2) Jack Eichel is back and he was a beast last night. I don't think it is any coincidence that they were a team struggling to score two goals a night. ... and then he comes back and they score 5 and 4 goals respectively. I know two games isn't a true sample, but his play charges that team and spills over beyond his shifts. I could see them squeeking into the playoffs with an 8 seed, and if that happens, it's not a team I would want to face. They have the potential to be explosive offensively.

Last night's game was frustrating. The Rangers defense is a glaring weakness. They have been pinned in their own zone too many times the last few games. And teams are adjusting after the hot start. They are facing neutral zone traps game in and game out and have had trouble adjusting. I think this is going to be a frustrating season -- at times looking all world, and at other times reminding me of their flaws.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps got Buffalo sans Eichel last Friday and were lucky to win at home. Washington gets them twice next week. Will be interesting to see the difference.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ditto Ducks.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll give credit to one of our own, of course ...

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think he'll turn out just fine. Has a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan Tech (Edit: And so does his wife). Those kids are usually making six figures pretty early and they don't even have to fight.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Caps-Bruins game was bonkers last night ... Caps go up 23 seconds in, take a 3-0 lead early in the second on a Winnik goal off the rush (!), go 25 minutes (!!) without a shot on goal as Boston ties it up at 3, survive a bunch of point-blank chances from Boston down the stretch, then win it on a Backstrom snipe through 3 inches of Rask five-hole to win in OT.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rangers / Hawks last night was a battle of back-up goalies. The Rangers are really beaten up. No Zibanejad, Buchnevich and now without Rick Nash for a while. He had been their best all-around player recently. Jimmy Vesey is playing hurt, too, and JT Miller has been playing with stitches in his knee and has been a battering ram in a lot of games. Their play has slowed down a lot lately, but they outlasted Winnipeg two nights ago in the first of back-to-backs, and got into a slog with Chicago last night. Anti Raanta started both games of the back-to-back and has looked like a #1. Lundqvist has been struggling a little and was effectively benched because Raanta has looked so good. Chicago has been without some good players, too. No Toews or Seabrook, and no Corey Crawford. So it was back-up-goalies last night and they both played incredibly -- some ridiculous saves. The Rangers won it in OT, 1-0. It's good to see that they can win in those defensive types of games like the last two nights, but I don't think it is the formula they want to rely on. Even though Raanta has bailed them out, their defense is not the strong part of their game. I want their forwards healthy. They have too much AHL level talent at the moment.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ducks' Cramarossa pummels Sharks' Wingels. Haven't seen such a one-sided hockey fight in a long time.
    At one point midway through in the dance phase, the ref motioned for the linesmen to stay out of it, and Cramarossa did, too. That was pretty funny.

The first video is with the Sharks broadcast, including Randy Hahn, who is excellent. Their take was praising Wingels for taking one for the team in trying to fire up the Sharks as they trailed, 2-0.

The second video is the Ducks broadcast -- John Ahlers and Brian Hayward. They praise Cramarossa for his fighting skills and energizing the building. Honda Center has been dead for a month but it was alive last night.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He's motioning to players to stay back

Draft saved Draft deleted