1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 3, 2016.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As a Red Sox fan, I'm perfectly fine with this deal, which is probably worrisome if you're a White Sox fan. I mostly get my prospect info from Keith Law, but he wasn't ever bullish on Kopech - he said the fastball was a legit 100, but straight and hittable. Sale's contract is really good, and I'm assuming Moncada will be, at worst, a decent regular for the White Sox, and at best, similar to Boegarts / Machado / elite IF. If Moncada and Sale perform as expected, then Kopech is probably the one that determines whether this is a good or bad trade ultimately. (I'm assuming the two other prospects are minor.)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it makes sense if Quintana, Abreu, Frazier, and maybe even Eaton go, too. Just blow it up. They are prospect-starved and have been for years. This is what happens when you gut your farm system for the present year after year after year - and only draft pitchers.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And we can trust the Red Sox not to hold a throwback day ...

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Price went from staff ace to No. 3 starter in the span of a year. And if Steven Wright continues what he did at the start of 2016, he's the fourth-best pitcher on that staff.

6. Dick Whitman

Steven Wright > David Price?

LOL

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Boston had an all-star pitcher last year, but I can't seem to remember who it is. Oh yeah, Steven Wright. Wright started 11 fewer games, but had just four fewer wins than Price and a better ERA.

But you made a pretty convincing argument. I wouldn't be surprised if some highly regarded posters tell you the same in a private message.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

David Price remains Boston's best starting pitcher.

Their Cy Young winner is now third best, with Eduardo Rodriguez closing fast.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Wright being injured and missing the playoffs was a huge blow to the Red Sox. David Price is the king of coming up small when it matters until he proves otherwise.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He used wins Dick, he's got you.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The ESPN story on the Thornburg trade oddly focused on Travis Shaw and Pablo, as if Pablo getting into shape was reason enough for them to deal Shaw. Well, except that Shaw's slash line was 242 / 306 / 421, so it's not like he was the answer at third anyway. Pablo will probably suck in 2017, but I'd rather bet on the X percent chance he bounces back to all-star level and sign a decent stopgap / utility IF that could play full-time, then just go with Shaw.

12. Dick Whitman

He only had four fewer win than Price? Well, this changes everything!

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted