1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

ALL the majors have winners for whom it was/is their only major victory, even the Masters (Zach Johnson, Schwartzel, Trevor Immelman, etc.) where since if you win once you get unlimited chances in realistic career terms to win it again ought to have more repeat winners than the others. I really don't see Bubba Watson winning any of the other three.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The last time they held the PGA at Whistling Straits, which they're doing again this year, he was in a playoff there. He even birdied the first hole of the aggregate playoff. And if he hadn't tried to hit a 6 iron 225 yards out of deep rough on the last hole, he probably would have wont the thing. He also finished fifth the last time they held a US Open at Oakmont, which will happen next year. So I'm not sure I'd dismiss him so quickly.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There was a nice shot at Berman, though.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That PGA featured the Dustin Johnson sand snafu, no?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think Dustin is the new Sergio and will always manage to do something dumb to take him out of a Major victory.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not so much they'll do something dumb is that neither man can trust his putting in crunch time.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dustin strike me more as the new Phil, though less personable (obviously).

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dustin also strikes me as the type to shake things off. I think it might be the triumph of an uncluttered mind. This is a guy who loves his money, loves his toys and loves having arm candy (Natalie Gulbis, Paulina). He left the golf course on Sunday still with everything a man could want, except he didn't win a particular tournament.
    His swing is pretty simple so I don't think he'll have a Woods or Duval-type breakdown, barring injury. I think he wins at least one Masters and one PGA when the greens are pure and he doesn't have to think much. And I think it will be a case of him being six shots back on Sunday, not on anyone's radar, and shooting a mindless 64, then winning in the clubhouse. I like his PGA chances at Quail Hollow in 2017 and Bethpage in 2019

Double Down likes this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Point is, they wore it."
    -- Marlon Stanfield.

10. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Heard that he's been on tour 8 yrs and has 8 wins.

He's already been really close 4 times ('10 US Open, '12 PGA, '13 Open, now '15 US Open) in those 8 years; he'll get there. It'll probably be a PGA since their greens are not as demanding as the Masters or a US Open.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Beem's win might've been the most impressive of the one-and done majors. Battled with Tiger for 18 holes on Sunday and kept it together.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That five-wood on the par-5 (I believe) 16th hole was a thing of beauty. I wish there was video of it somewhere. Beem was playing the best golf of his career at that point. He also won the International that same month.

Draft saved Draft deleted