1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 15, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Too bad we couldn't pair Joe Buck with Artie Lange.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not every shot that doesn't go into the hole is a choke.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it'll be somewhere in the 276-282 range unless the weather's bad.

I don't anticipate it being much harder than Whistling Straits, but we'll see.

4. You guys are hard on Buck. I like Joe and think they'll do well. Not a huge Norman fan though. But we'll see.

I'll miss Miller.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Love a West Coast Open since our city championship is on Father's Day weekend every year, and I have to cover it, meaning a miss a ton of the Open action. Not so this year. Can't wait. If you follow U.S. Open Championships on Facebook, they've been doing neat fly-by videos of all the holes in the run-up to the event.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm no Buck fan, but I think was a legit criticism 5 years ago. I think he has definitely upped the enthusiasm on NFL broadcasts (I don't watch enough MLB on Fox to know).

I think Buck brings gravitas to events that few pbp guys do. Hannah Storm's husband (name escapes me) has been the lead guy on NBC for a long time. It won't be a stretch to be better than him.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Weather is supposed to be beautiful. Late starting time on Sat/Sunday for final groups will provide great visuals of the early-evening sun over the Puget Sound. Longest days of the year in terms of daylight, too, should be light until 9 p.m. or so. I think the players will enjoy not baking in the heat or soaking in high humidity.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Dan Hicks?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll take Buck over Berman. Wish CBS had this, though. They cover golf the best, syrupy Nantz notwithstanding.

Fox planning 11 hours the first two days. 10 a.m. MDT to 9 p.m. MDT on Friday and Saturday. Ending in prime time in the east on Saturday and Sunday. Don't have that luxury in the coming years.

Watching the coverage and listening to the interviews ... feels like an unknown comes out and wins it. I'd be fine with Hefty winning it. Spieth, obviously. Euros have won three of the past four Opens, so who knows? The story is the course.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

For those seeking an edge in any U.S. Open drafts, there's been a clear pattern to winners of Opens held at courses for the first time. There have been 11 post-
    World War II U.S. Opens taken to new courses where the USGA decided it was good enough to give it a return visit: Medinah, Olympic, Oak Hill, Southern Hills, Congressional, Hazeltine, Pebble Beach, Shinnecock Hills, Pinehurst, Bethpage and Torrey Pines. I'm sure that some of those courses were considered just as strange and foreign at the time as Chambers Bay (Pebble? Shinnecock? Pinehurst?) Hall of Famers won 10 of the 11, with the only one being Jack Fleck at Olympic in 1955. The other winners: Woods, Nicklaus, Floyd, Middlecoff, Stewart, Venturi, Bolt and Jacklin.
    I guess the moral of the story is that the great ones adapt quicker. I think some of this talk that the quirkiness of the course is going to give us a winner like Brian Harman or Steve Marino. It simply hasn't happened in the past.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Joe Buck.

Fuck.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Phil is -2 through 5. Better than that, Natalie Gulbis is providing on course coverage of the featured group online today.

Draft saved Draft deleted