1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 15, 2015.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fore please!

I've been geeked for this site for a few years. West Coast major golf rules because it will play late.

The good: New -- and wickedly cool -- course. Pacific Northwest for the first time. My boy's caddie's course gives him a bit of an advantage to get him halfway to the Grand Slam. No more sletzer spray "happy hour" garbage from Berman.

The bad: Fox televising major golf for the first time.

I like change in golf. This brings it. We'll have tradition in a month at St. Andrew's. Mike Davis rolled the dice last year at Pinehurst with back-to-back Opens with the men and women. This is a different animal. Drought doesn't help but as they say on the other side of the pond ... play the conditions.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

MileHigh, West Coast Opens are great for fans, but for East Coast sportswriters on deadline, not so much. At Olympic in 1998, the USGA put Casey Martin in the next to last threesome on Thursday and that was back when they all teed off from the first hole. First and only time I ever wrote a golf running column.
    Course does look like fun, though. The USGA has its problems, God knows, but they are doing a better job of representing the variety of American golf.

3. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Love the test and the layout. Apparently the sod is fescue, which is something native to Europe but very rare over here. Should be a great test of golf. Speith has stayed hot since the Masters and it would be awesome to see him win (not likely though).

Fox and Joe Buck blows compared to NBC and Miller but there's going to be 8 hours of coverage every day. Norman? Please, he's such a narcissist, we'll be inundated with the "when I nearly won....." Would have loved to see Fox go off the board with some middling former pro with a great wit and knowledge ( Goydos?) Lee Janzen?

4. So odds this rivals Winged, Merion and Oakmont?
    I can see the winning score being above 288. I don't see it topping 299 though.

Really excited to watch. I think you're going to see a first timer (and subsequent nobody) bag this one.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll bet Norman doesn't even know who half of these players are.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Can't wait to head over for Friday's round. I've attended and covered PGA events a few times, but this will be my first U.S. Open ... and the second for my dad (he was at Medinah in 1990).

Some good pairings to follow for a few holes: Mickelson, Watson, Cabrera (Friday afternoon); back-to-back groups of Spieth, Day and Rose, then Woods, Fowler, Oosthuizen (Friday morning); and back-to-back groups of Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia and Kaymer, amateur Gunn Yang and Rory (Friday afternoon).

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll be in Seattle next summer and Chambers Bay definitely will be on my to-do list. This week, with all the time the ball will spend rolling along the ground, I fancy a European player. This place ought to make for great TV.

8. Michael_ Gee

When I first saw the course on TV on a FoxSports preview show, my first thought was "here's a place where Seve could've won a US Open." I'm not sure this favors today's Europeans that much, however. Aside from the Open championship itself, Euro tour tournaments are almost all held on parkland courses not all that different from most US courses.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I was really excited for this tournament at this location. Turns out, though, I'll be out of the country this week and will miss it. I'll try to convince myself to watch online, but there's zippy chance of that actually happening. Just in case, I assume FoxSports.com will be streaming it?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Count me among those who're happy that somebody -- anybody -- other than Miller/NBC is televising it.

11. Michael_ Gee

What's your objection to Miller?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I was over Joe Buck about 10 years ago. I don't think there's ever been a sportscaster who projects boredom as much he does, no matter what sport and how important the event. I always get the impression he doesn't want to be there and that he feels his audience is beneath him.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted