1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Stanley Cup playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Here's some more on it:

After overcoming his demons, Scott Darling wants to make mark on the NHL | The Hockey News

It's interesting that he doesn't "self-identify as an alcoholic." It seemed like the Tribune story steered clear of that label, as well. We've talked on here about how sometimes people might be addicted to a good time as much as they are addicted to alcohol. Maybe this is one of those cases.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That would explain a lot. He has the size and athleticism to be a good goalie.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which is quite prevalent in hockey culture.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think this is the case with a lot of alcoholics:

More importantly, however, he had to somehow find a way to conquer a mental health issue that had plagued him since childhood. Darling had always suffered from social anxiety, and it was that disorder that caused him to medicate with his drug of choice, which was massive amounts of alcohol. “I wasn’t comfortable as a human being,” he said. “I didn’t think people liked me.”

Alcoholism isn't so much the disease they are dealing with, but rather it's a coping/blocking mechanism for the issue they are(n't) dealing with.

When they learn to deal with the underlying problem that was leading them to drink, a lot of the issues related to alcoholism can be resolved.

And, I think too often this is missed. It's just assumed that someone has a "drinking problem". Well, yeah, but it's a symptom of something else, not necessarily the main problem. It's the main problem that we see, but if you only treat the alcoholism -- only treat the symptom -- you're not going to fix the problem.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well played.

Two half the nights and three the other half.

I will always be thankful for him standing on his head during that game seven.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I honestly thought you meant Letang.

Fleury's had a good year but he is far closer to average than great. The last 4 years he's been below average.

You're right, they can never take game 7 away from him.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I also think a healthy Pens team beats these Rangers.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Rangers are not playing that well -- especially compared to how good they consistently looked during the season -- so I can see someone saying that.

Two things, though. The Rangers have looked really bad for stretches of each of these games, but are still winning. And that is what good teams do. They gave up a goal quickly yesterday and didn't show up at all in the first period. It was a brutally bad period. Yet, they still kept it to just one goal, and I am not sure too many teams would have rebounded from looking that lethargic, with how hard the Penguins were coming at them, and come back and won the game.

Also, the Penguins injuries have hit their defense, and the defense hasn't been a problem for either team in this series. So I am not sure how much a healthy Pens team would make a difference. The Pens defense, with the AHL players, has played as well as you can expect. I don't think the Penguins can expect to hang with this Rangers team over 7 games. But the reason they have all been tight games has been that they have turned the games into defensive games and contained the Rangers speed. I am not sure that adding Christian Erhoff or Kris Letang back into the mix would make them better than they have been.

To me, the biggest problem for the Penguins is that for that formula to work, they need Crosby to be like he was in Game 2 every game. And that is a lot to put on one players' back. If there is one thing that is hampering them it's that Malkin has looked pretty bad. If he steps his game up, maybe it accounts for the extra goal or two in one of those games.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it's also a testament to how good this Rangers team is that they can play this slowed-down, physical, defensive type of game and still win, even though they'd much rather play a higher-octane brand of hockey. The Penguins are making the Rangers play their way, and the Rangers are beating them at their own game.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can tell how much I watch during the regular season.

Crosby, though, is just amazing to watch. He took a blue-line pass at a full skate last night that was about six feet behind where it should have been, allowed the puck to go through his legs, took the pass with the back side of his stick, turned the puck over on his stick, put it out in front of him and never slowed down. The announcers didn't say a word about it, but I rewatched it on the DVR 3-4 times because it just blew me away.

JC likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I see it the other way, too. With some of the defensemen the Penguins are playing, it's a testament to them that they have been able to keep the games contained. I think early in the series, the Rangers figured they had a big advantage on the diagonal stretch passes that worked all season. But Pittsburgh's defense has taken that away from them, except for a few times, like the Hagelin goal in game 3.

On the other end, I think Pittsburgh has been really aggressive, crashing the net the way they do -- you expect it from Kunitz. But I think guys like LaPierre, Comeau and Downie have played pretty tough in the Rangers end, and the Rangers' defense has been up to the challenge for the most part, as you said. It shouldn't be a surprise that the Rangers can play that way. If you've watched them all season, everything has kind of fed off the defense. When Lundqvist was hurt, there were a few games at first where Talbot was getting his legs and the defense was like a wall in front of him. Also, as much as everyone focuses on the Rangers ability to skate and move the puck, when they go cold, it is like a giant frost. It mostly coincided with Nash cooling off late in the season. Kevin Hayes stepped it up during that period, but other than when him and JT Miller were on the ice, in some games, the rest of the forwards looked like they were in quicksand. And the power play looked bad, too, for long stretches of the year, the way it has this series.I know that is kind of nitpicking, becuase they were still winning those games all year, butd it really was because their defense was so solid.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@Ragu: the d they are missing help the offense. They are puck movers, the breakout is far better with the Letang and Erhoff in the lineup. Rangers are well coached, Vigneault is very underrated.

dprince57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted