1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Sportsman of the Year running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's going to be Serena, Spieth or both if they win their respective grand slams, the USWNT if neither does.

2. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

Has Kobe Bryant won yet?

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kershaw could get in the running if he leads the Dodgers to a World Series win. Another longshot would be Urban Meyer if Ohio State starts strong.

But I agree that Serena should be the favorite when she completes her slam.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I sure hope it's the "USWNT." The most well-financed, institutionally supported juggernaut in the world wins at a sport nobody otherwise watches for the second time in 16 years behind its centerpiece, a known domestic abuser.

Yay!

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where are they talking about the horse? No one is reliving the Triple Crown.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

OK, I'm curious, why?

Because I was thinking precisely the opposite--baseball's likely the one sport we can rule out--given that they never give it to an athlete from the same sport two years in a row (Bumgarner won last year) and this year offers such rich alternative choices (triple crown, tennis and golf grand slams, curry's season, world cup gold, etc.). What would make you think it'll be consecutive baseball years?

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Greinke is chasing Hershiser's scoreless innings record. Keep an eye on him the next 3-4 weeks. His last year with the Angels, I saw him carve up the slugging Detroit Tigers and knew he was something better than special. I cringed when the Angels didn't re-sign him, but they wouldn't go that extra year.

8. Federer also managed one French Open win in that span. Just one. He was really impressive for that span, but Nadal on that clay was his Achilles Heel.

I think the Serena competition question is the same thing golf fans hold against TW.
    Is Serena really that dominant, or does her competition suck? Maybe a little of both. I'm inclined to believe she's more dominant than anything else. At this point the only thing beating her is injury or age.

OBTW, this is the second time Williams has all four major titles at one time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. They could put any horse on the cover, call it American Pharoah and NO one would know the difference.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, I forgot it even went to a baseball player last year.

They do seem to have a written or unwritten rule of not having the same sport two years in a row.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

They could put any baseball player on the cover and call him Greinke, and I wouldn't know the difference.

AP, on the other hand, is a handsome equine! If the Triple Crown winner doesn't get it I'm gonna cancel my subscription.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

But she has never won all four in the same year, right? Looking back, Federer probably could have won it, even with winning three of four. Think that he is kind of anonymous or under the radar in USA. Don't read People, US, etc regularly, but have seen Serena in those several times, don't ever remember seeing Federer. Not sure they take that into account but does seem Sportsman/woman is someone who is at least familiar to the general public in US.

Draft saved Draft deleted